Old 20-03-2003, 08:20 PM
adam roler

Default [IBC] eastern red cedar

hello all,
i have an eastern red cedar i planted in my yard last
year and i was gonna use it for bonsai in a couple of
years. here's the question:
does brown foliage on this tree mean its dead?
i used my fingernail to scrape away a tiny peice if bark
and found that underneath it is still green. BUT i have
heard that junipers die from the roots up. should i worry?

adam roler
indianapolis indiana

http://platinum.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

hello all,
i have an eastern red cedar i planted in my yard last
year and i was gonna use it for bonsai in a couple of
years. here's the question:
does brown foliage on this tree mean its dead?
i used my fingernail to scrape away a tiny peice if bark
and found that underneath it is still green. BUT i have
heard that junipers die from the roots up. should i worry?

Is this brown-brown or purple-brown? Red cedars change color in
winter, and turn (depending on the individual) greyish or purplish.
When spring comes, the green color will return. However, if the
color is straw-tan or nasty brown, the tree is having a problem.

A juniper will die from the roots up if it is stricken with root rot.
It will die from the top down if it has a twig blight. Let us know
what kind of brown you're talking about, and we'll try to narrow it
down.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Craig Cowing

adam roler wrote:

hello all,
i have an eastern red cedar i planted in my yard last
year and i was gonna use it for bonsai in a couple of
years. here's the question:
does brown foliage on this tree mean its dead?
i used my fingernail to scrape away a tiny peice if bark
and found that underneath it is still green. BUT i have
heard that junipers die from the roots up. should i worry?

adam roler
indianapolis indiana

Adam:
We've got these all over the place here. They turn brownish during the winter, and
turn a nice green once spring comes.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Daniel Avrin

In a message dated 3/20/2003 11:41:25 AM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:

i have an eastern red cedar i planted in my yard last
year and i was gonna use it for bonsai in a couple of
years. here's the question:
does brown foliage on this tree mean its dead?
i used my fingernail to scrape away a tiny peice if bark
and found that underneath it is still green. BUT i have
heard that junipers die from the roots up. should i worry?

I have one (count 'em: one) Juniperus virginiana so I'm no expert. For that
you'll have to turn to Nina or Anita, but, FWIW, mine always gets
purplish/silver foliage during the winter that panicked me the first time I
saw it. To my great relief, spring time always returns it to a lovely green.
As to brown, how brown are we talking here? Is it outside? I'd leave it
alone until later spring and determine at that time which branches have
survived and which haven't. I've learned not to jump the gun as apparently
dead branches can bud out later.

Good luck,
Daniel Avrin
I fought the lawn and the lawn won.