GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Growing a Sequoia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/11167-re-%5Bibc%5D-growing-sequoia.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 21-03-2003 05:20 PM

[IBC] Growing a Sequoia

In a message dated 3/21/03 8:53:40 AM, writes:

for the first few weeks and then all of a sudden
the leaves dry up and the plant dies (usually they grow to a height of
2"/5cm before drying up).

This sounds like "damp off" a generic name for a number of fungus diseases
that attack seedlings. What are you using for soil? I use pure
horticultural vermiculite to fight this. Since the vermiculite is inorganic
it doesn't support the pathogen. You could also try sterilizing the soil by
baking it for a while at 300 F or so. But, this makes the house and oven
smell of dirt.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

DLNorton 22-03-2003 09:56 AM

[IBC] Growing a Sequoia

writes:

for the first few weeks and then all of a sudden
the leaves dry up and the plant dies (usually they grow to a height of
2"/5cm before drying up).

This sounds like "damp off" a generic name for a number of fungus diseases
that attack seedlings. What are you using for soil? I use pure
horticultural vermiculite to fight this. Since the vermiculite is inorganic
it doesn't support the pathogen. You could also try sterilizing the soil by
baking it for a while at 300 F or so. But, this makes the house and oven
smell of dirt.

Hmm..that's one I didn't think of..! Thanks Billy! ;-)