Old 23-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Donald Henry Shaw

Default [IBC] Per request of JKLewis..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Henry Shaw"
Sent: Saturday March 22 2003 3:09 PM
Subject: [IBC] Iraqis Greeting Yanks with Kisses &
Handshakes? ------------------ cikpel

Pray tell just what is so "special" about you and your seemingly "pure"
opinion -- obviously untroubled or clouded by any shades of nuance,
discernment, reflection, compassion, generosity, sense of belonging all
with an apparent inability to understand anything different or unfamiliar to
your own experience (most of which is probably vicarious -- gleaned
piecemeal
and willy-nilly from popular digests, summaries and call-in broadcast shows)
that allows you -- without apparent hesitation or even a smidgeon of
humility -- to address other people, all of who you cannot possibly know
or recognize -- as "protesters, appeasers, traitors, dimwits,
any-cause-hangers-on, peacenick pacifists and other such mental
defectives..."?

Rather than basking smugly in the glowing warmth of your own burning
remark, "At this moment, I am proud to be an American", you might better
wonder at
just how many people view you and your tawdry jingoism with a sense of
very real horror and muted pity. Who else is "proud" that you call yourself
an
American?

Who we truly are does NOT change from moment to moment.

AND we need not feel shame admitting to ourselves that most of us
'individually' are full of fear concerning the state of the world right
now, how best to solve the many dire problems confronting us all, and even
WHETHER or not we will be able to find some semblance of healthy balance,
order and shared purpose on the planet again.

He who gloats on the misfortune of others is the only one who need
apologize -- to the world, of course, but most of all to himself...