Old 23-03-2003, 06:44 AM
luc tran

Default [IBC] wisteria

Hi all,

I just got an one gallon chinese wisteria "avery
island" and I was wondering if this specie is consider
a bonsai specie. I got it for about six dollars and
was very happy with the tree. It has a one inch+
trunk. I don't know if this tree is to be grown for
large bonsai or could I use it as a mame, but I
planted it in the ground already because it seemed
like it wanted a bigger trunk.

Thank You,

Luc Tran
Austin,TX zone: 8b

http://platinum.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Henrik Gistvall

luc tran wrote:

Hi all,

I just got an one gallon chinese wisteria "avery
island" and I was wondering if this specie is consider
a bonsai specie. I got it for about six dollars and
was very happy with the tree. It has a one inch+
trunk. I don't know if this tree is to be grown for
large bonsai or could I use it as a mame, but I
planted it in the ground already because it seemed
like it wanted a bigger trunk.

Wisteria make wonderful bonsai. I think you made the right choise by
putting it in the ground. The key feature of wisteria is the flowers and
they are quite large so I would go for a medium/large size tree.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Luc. You write,
I just got an one gallon chinese wisteria ... I
planted it in the ground already because it
seemed like it wanted a bigger trunk.

Wisteria are terribly invasive plants whose roots will travel far
underground to sprout again in unexpected places. The tendrils grow like
Topsy perhaps extending 25 feet in a season, & they put down shallow roots.
NEVER plant these in the ground unless prepared to deal with something that
dwarfs bamboo in its ability to spread without control-- in other words, act
responsibly and control this vine carefully if growing it for bonsai.

Those who would support ground planting haven't dealt with wisteria in the
ground on their property.

Those that bloom are beautiful as well as destructive for a brief summer
period as they strangle surrounding trees.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

[IBC] Wisteria Tom Pillichody Bonsai 8 11-12-2004 10:35 PM
[IBC] Wisteria on gallery Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 12:32 AM
[IBC] Wisteria tree collect now? J. Gettinger Bonsai 6 07-05-2003 11:44 PM
[IBC] wisteria collecting...could it live? Sam Williams Bonsai 1 15-04-2003 01:20 PM
[IBC] Problem with miniature wisteria Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 13-04-2003 06:44 PM