Old 24-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Craig Coussins (as well as) [IBC] Bonsai in Scotland}

Hi Monica. You note:
I'll get married on May 9th and I'm travelling to Scotland
on honeymoon. I wonder if there is something to see on
bonsai there.

I'd recommend you contact Craig Coussins by email
in making plans. Craig has released a
wonderful book on bonsai that Andy Rutledge recently reported to the IBC,
and he has wonderful connections in the world bonsai community. He should
know the in & outs of bonsai around Glascow and the entire country.

Craig really supports world bonsai friendships. His newest book _The Bonsai
School_ includes substantial material from IBC friends including Robert
Baran (a stunning history of bonsai-- especially in regard to its Chinese
origins), Reiner Goebel, Bill Valavanis, Michael Persiano and Gary Marchal.
The photos are stunning in choice including a variety of unexpected bonsai
and nature images. He also includes material from Savatore Liporace and Dan
Barton, who I know as whirlwinds of positive energy in the bonsai community.
I was pleased to see Rob Moak noted in the acknowledgements. These are all
GREAT community contributors.

Craig's format of bringing together an extensive assortment of stylists to
describe their separate special techniques is not unlike the technique of
large symposia. It is not unlike the technique of choosing among the best
journal articles to construct part of a book. I think the design classes
are well-chosen. Other substantial parts of the book are more unique. All
are instructive.

Craig's strong enthusiasm in the book for Gordon Duffet pots applauds his
own taste in collecting these; I loved the information and photos relatingb
to one of the foremost Western potters. The section on development of
penjing pots in China is a wonderful addition to modest publications already
available... Craig has generously shared some of this information on the
web, too.

I especially admire bonsai authors who contribute to the internet bonsai
community in sharing information. Craig maintains the website
www.bonsaiinformation.co.uk.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: