GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ant infestation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/11605-ant-infestation.html)

Lee & Deb Miles 25-03-2003 12:20 PM

ant infestation

I have several fig trees in a hot house. Unfortunately several trees have
been infested with ants. The little blighters are in the soil in the pot and
crawling into crevices in the folds of the branches. I've tried immersing
the pots in water, spraying insect spray but to no avail. They just run up
out of the soil carrying their eggs and I can kill lots of them with the
spray but they back a week later just as bad. trees are healthy though.

Any suggestions?

Lee Miles
Tasmania
Australia

Chris McMillan 25-03-2003 10:08 PM

ant infestation

In message , Lee & Deb Miles
writes
I have several fig trees in a hot house. Unfortunately several trees have
been infested with ants. The little blighters are in the soil in the pot and
crawling into crevices in the folds of the branches. I've tried immersing
the pots in water, spraying insect spray but to no avail. They just run up
out of the soil carrying their eggs and I can kill lots of them with the
spray but they back a week later just as bad. trees are healthy though.

In the UK we would put down a proprietory ant killer near the nest (if
we can find it) which deflects the little blighters. As I can never
find ants nests, I go and look to see where they're crawling out of and
sprinkle whatever cracks I can find, hoping for the best. When they're
about I get them all over my kitchen too.

Sincerely, Chris
Any suggestions?

Lee Miles
Tasmania