GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Soil ingredient (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/11748-%5Bibc%5D-soil-ingredient.html)

Bill Neff 26-03-2003 07:33 PM

[IBC] Soil ingredient

While getting ready for the annual potting binge I've discovered that my source of composted fir bark is no more. Lowes & Home Depot aren't even carrying it anymore. The local nurseries only have bark mulch for landscaping not soil amendment. I have Turfac
e and chicken grit and Haydite. In the past I've used haydite, bark & grit. Can I substitute the Turface for the bark?
Thanks

Bill Neff
Topeka, KS (zone5)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 26-03-2003 10:20 PM

[IBC] Soil ingredient

The local nurseries only have bark mulch for landscaping not soil
amendment. I have Turface and chicken grit and Hyalite. In the past I've used
haydite, bark & grit. Can I substitute the Turface for the bark?

Turface is really equal to the Haydite more than to the bark. I just picked
up some bags of a Fafard product at a wholesaler for $2.20 per 40 qt bag.
Maybe if you ask for Fafard Soil Conditioner you can get it. The front
doesn't mention bark, but the back says 100% composted fur bark.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

David J. Bockman 26-03-2003 10:32 PM

[IBC] Soil ingredient

I don't think so Bill, they're pretty different animals. You should be able
to find seedling orchid bark...? That is fir bark.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email: