Old 26-03-2003, 09:08 PM
John Jones

Default Worse than Mallsai?

All of you (in the USA) that have kids are familiar with the fact
that they are constantly pressured to sell overpriced junk to
help their schools. I hate this practice in general, but
yesterday, this problem hit me where I live:

My kids' school is offering a $2.00 "mini Bonsai Kit". It
consists of a 2.5 inch x 0.5 inch mica(?) pot, a compressed peat
pellet, 4 Jack pine seeds, a pair of Barbi doll scissors, and a
tiny book on bonsai care. My 10-year-old daughter got suckered
because she knows I'm doing some bonsai.

I'm glad she's showing an interest in bonsai, but it's
unrealistic to expect this pretend-bonsai kit to produce
anything. I told her that we could go through my potensai, and
pick one for her. Has anyone experienced something like this
before? Any advice on which plants a 10 year old would like?

We live in USDA zone 7.

Old 27-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Iris Cohen

My kids' school is offering a $2.00 "mini Bonsai Kit". It consists of a 2.5
inch x 0.5 inch mica(?) pot, a compressed peat pellet, 4 Jack pine seeds, a
pair of Barbi doll scissors, and a tiny book on bonsai care. My 10-year-old
daughter got suckered because she knows I'm doing some bonsai.

I trust you spoke to the person who organized this folly without sounding too
enraged.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-03-2003, 09:08 PM
John Jones

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
My kids' school is offering a $2.00 "mini Bonsai Kit". It

consists of a 2.5
inch x 0.5 inch mica(?) pot, a compressed peat pellet, 4 Jack

pine seeds, a
pair of Barbi doll scissors, and a tiny book on bonsai care.

My 10-year-old
daughter got suckered because she knows I'm doing some bonsai.

I trust you spoke to the person who organized this folly

without sounding too
enraged.

Not yet. That's why I was soliciting advice here.

Tbanks.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of

the oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 28-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Iris Cohen

Not yet. That's why I was soliciting advice here.

i would definitely say something, but in a nice way, giving information rather
than just criticizing their intention to raise money.
Old 28-03-2003, 06:08 PM
John Jones

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Not yet. That's why I was soliciting advice here.

i would definitely say something, but in a nice way, giving

information rather
than just criticizing their intention to raise money.

The mini-bonsai kit was included with about 200 other various
gift items in a catalog produced by some company. I doubt the
school can effect a change in the catalog contents - merely stop
the program which I know they will *not* do. They need the money
too much.

I object to the programs because it's all over-priced junk that
I'm expected to badger my co-workers and neighbors into buying.
The school only gets a small percentage of the money, and they
use techniques that I consider unfair to pressure kids (me
actually) into making sales: Any kid who doesn't sell at least
$300 of this junk has to sit in study hall with the other losers
while their classmates go to a party.

I've offered to just give the school $300.00 if they'd just leave
us alone and not punish my little girls for under-performing, but
they won't go for it.

Anyway, I digress. This whole program gripes me, and when I saw
my own girl get taken-in over a bonsai kit (two things I care
about - my kids and my trees), it pushed my buttons. I'll just
have to watch what she buys a little better.

At any rate, I'm gonna help her raise the thumbelina bonsai kit,
and also help her pick one of my potensai so she'll get a more
realistic idea of what it's all about.

Old 28-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Chris McMillan

In message , John Jones
writes

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Not yet. That's why I was soliciting advice here.

I object to the programs because it's all over-priced junk that
I'm expected to badger my co-workers and neighbors into buying.
The school only gets a small percentage of the money, and they
use techniques that I consider unfair to pressure kids (me
actually) into making sales: Any kid who doesn't sell at least
$300 of this junk has to sit in study hall with the other losers
while their classmates go to a party.

Horror. You're joking. I had all of this sort of thing while Hazel was
in primary school and I refused to do it. If I could afford whatever it
was (raffle tickets usually) I bought them myself.

The catalogues came in the form of book catalogues but we were never
pressurised into buying. The other thing I absolutely refused to do was
collect coupons for schools.

What you're saying has just shaken me to the roots. I don't know what
300 dollars is in UK pounds or Euros but its a lot of money in any
currency.

I've offered to just give the school $300.00 if they'd just leave
us alone and not punish my little girls for under-performing, but
they won't go for it.

Can you change schools Jeff?

At any rate, I'm gonna help her raise the thumbelina bonsai kit,
and also help her pick one of my potensai so she'll get a more
realistic idea of what it's all about.

What does the word potensai mean? I've seen it used a lot now.

Sincerely, Chris
--
Chris McMillan
reply to:
Old 29-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Helena Handbasket

Egads! Lighten up guys! It might initiate some interest in children to become nurturing.
The parent isn't going to be out that much money and maybe a child can get those seeds
going and it might spark a life long interest in horticulture.

What other type of products are listed in this catalog? It's a fund raiser for heaven's
sake.

I am not endorsing these silly fund raisers as I didn't care for them when my kid was in
school but what other kind of fund raisers are being done in the schools today and how
many parents get involved. Not many. The truth is, not many parents get involved at all
these days.

If you don't like the fund raisers, go to the school meetings and complain. To them.
They are the ones who need the help and the parental in put.

Find out exactly why they need the money. Is it for something essential or some bit of
stupid fluff?

As for what parents buy for kids...

Don't you guys remember Sea Monkeys? Sheesh!

--

Helena's Sim Estates
http://www.simbella.com/helena/