Old 11-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Peter Le Roux

Default [IBC] Off Topic, the Origin of Puns

Iris Said:
I would like to know, at what point did the pun stop being a
source of magic and become a form of humor?

Well this is so off topic, I feel I must reply- but I don't have much
useful. I DO know that in shakespeare's time, punning was considered
skillful (hence the use of puns in places we would consider inappropriate
for humour). So I guess back in renaissance era england it was still
respected, if not venerated as magical.

?eter

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Iris Cohen

I know three triple puns. One I picked up in the garden group; the other two
are old as the hills. I will NOT repeat them here. Each one is worse than the
next. If you want them, let me know privately.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)