Old 28-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] - Japanese Maple Question

Has anyone had experience in groiwng Japanes Maples indoors?

Does keeping them indoors affect the color changes during the

Fall?

If they have, it has been an unhappy one. Japanese maples will
NOT grow indoors.

The only fall color you will get is brown.

Sorry.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Marty & Patty Weiser

I have over wintered cuttings under light in the basement (tridents are
even better than Japanese maples). They get a bit spindly, but then
grow fine the following year. The next winter is outside since they
will have good solid roots.

If all you have is indoors and you want to grow A. palmatum you might be
able to over winter in the refrigerator. However, this will be less
than optimal and you will not be able to enjoy the fall color since the
leaves will not go through the slow down necessary for the green
pigments to go away while leaving the others.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Steve wachs

I purchased a couple Japanese maple seedling this past winter as well as a
couple of Trident Maples and kept them in the house. They leafed out a couple
of months ago and seem to be doing fine.
I plan to move them outside in about a month. I might even leaf prune when I
do.
In the fall I allow the leaves to turn and fall before I bring them back in
the house. They should start growing in about a month.
I have done this with elms and have been successful.
SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Steve:
I see no reason why you shouldn't try to raise the Maples indoors. They
are yours to do with as you see fit. BUT, don't be surprised if they
don't make it. :-(

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48