Old 30-03-2003, 10:56 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Using wire to thicken base of trunk - HELP!

I read somewhere that you can wrap a wire around the base of a tree that has
reverse taper to thicken it. I mentioned this at a bonsai club meeting and
was told that if you "girdle" the trunk you'll kill the tree.

1) I can't remember where I read it. Anyone have a reference?

2) Does the wire work or will it kill the tree?

Thanks, John

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim Lewis

I read somewhere that you can wrap a wire around the base of a
tree that has
reverse taper to thicken it. I mentioned this at a bonsai club

meeting and
was told that if you "girdle" the trunk you'll kill the tree.

1) I can't remember where I read it. Anyone have a reference?

If you find it, I'd wad it up. You MIGHT thicken a trunk with
wire, but only if you scar the trunk so badly with concentric
rings that no one would want to look at it. There are other
so-called "quick" ways to fatten trunks (poking them randomly a
zillion times with an icepick in the area you want to fatten, is
one) but they all wind up with badly scarred and horribly ugly
trunks. The best way to get rid of reverse taper that is low on
the trunk is an air layer where the trunk is fattest.

But there are no shortcuts.

2) Does the wire work or will it kill the tree?

The tree will survive but you (and it?) might wish it hadn't.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Bart Thomas

I THINK that the girdling was mentioned specifically in an issue of the New
England Bonsai (The nursery) newsletter dealing with the culture and
developement of Japanese White Pines (in Japan, by professionals) for
export.

As I recall, this was done to swell the trunks and give them a more aged
look. Also, as I recall, this seemed to limit the age of survival to around
100 years, vs much longer for "ungirdled" trees.

Seems like they've been doing it for a while. Also sounds like no job for
amateurs.

Regards,

Bart

Old 31-03-2003, 12:32 AM
John NJ

From: Jim Lewis
If you find it, I'd wad it up.

I found a reference although not the one I was looking for.

Bonsai Techniques I - John Y. Naka
Faulty Trunk - Page 35 - Figure 89 (Inverted Shape)

"A reversed shape showing the trunk larger than the base is unpleasant.
Wrapping some wires closely and tightly around the small area will help
increase the base. Watch carefully, do not let the wires cut into the
bark."

John-NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++