GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a few questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/12407-few-questions.html)

Nic 31-03-2003 05:32 AM

a few questions

okay my roommate has a juniper bonsai tree and it is turning brown.
and i know that it should not be in direct sunlight. but i dont know
exactly how much water he should give it daily. also i am thinking
about getting a florescent light for it but i would like to know the
correct wavelengths for the tree or which bulb would be best. its not
a very big one, but should it be clipped regularly? need some quick
tips....thanks so much!

-nic

Iris Cohen 31-03-2003 03:32 PM

a few questions

my roommate has a juniper bonsai tree and it is turning brown.

Sorry, it is probably dead.

i know that it should not be in direct sunlight. but i dont know exactly how
much water he should give it daily. also i am thinking about getting a
fluorescent light for it but i would like to know the correct wavelengths for
the tree or which bulb would be best. its not a very big one, but should it be
clipped regularly?

Encourage your roommate to try again. However, do not try to keep a juniper
indoors. If you want to grow a juniper bonsai, it needs to be outdoors for the
summer and dormant in the winter. If you want to grow an indoor bonsai, get a
Ficus, but it will still do better if you keep it outdoors for the summer and
under fluorescent lights for the winter. Come back next fall & we will tell you
more.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."