Old 03-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim S

Default [IBC] Raffia Or Substitute

Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 08:08 PM
John Jones

"Jim S" wrote in message
Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a

practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

Arts and crafts stores carry it. Do you have a Hobby Lobby in
your area?

I've heard people talk of using duct tape

Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Jim S wrote:

Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

You can find raffia I´m sure. A substitute would be some sort of elastic
bandage and on top of that black electricians tape.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a
practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

Thanks,

Jim

=========

You can buy raffia in packages at any craft shop in all colors.
Natural is recommended, as the dyes tend to run when wet.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim S wrote:

Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a

practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

You can find raffia I´m sure. A substitute would be some sort

of elastic
bandage and on top of that black electricians tape.

Tape isn't the best substitute as if often damages the bark on
some trees when it is removed. But don't forget duct tape. I'd
use that in preference to electrician's tape.

You can also use hemp cordage, but it needs to be applied very
wet and flattened by untwisting it a bit, so it's difficult.
Before everyone started using plastic cord, I used hay rope (used
to hold hay bales together).

But raffia is easy to find.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Randy Brooks

Tree bandage (usually available in Home Depot) works really well. Cut off a
lenght that you think you'll need, double it over onto itself, and wrap away
stretching it for snugness. It breathes, doesn't harm the tree in any way
(like the bark), and provides better protection that raffia against
agressive bends. Plus, you don't have to wet it down to use it.

Randy Brooks
---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Craig Cowing

Randy Brooks wrote:

Tree bandage (usually available in Home Depot) works really well. Cut off a
lenght that you think you'll need, double it over onto itself, and wrap away
stretching it for snugness. It breathes, doesn't harm the tree in any way
(like the bark), and provides better protection that raffia against
agressive bends. Plus, you don't have to wet it down to use it.

Randy Brooks
---

I haven't used this for bending branches, but I have used something similar for
wrapping a broken branch. It works pretty well.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Raffia Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 04-07-2004 04:04 PM
rayon raffia calumw Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 06:20 AM
rayon raffia calumw Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 06:20 AM
[IBC] Raffia Source Hung Le Bonsai 4 05-07-2003 02:56 PM
raffia for grafting Coffea ramosa Gardening 0 18-05-2003 11:20 PM