Old 13-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Judy McClelland

Default [IBC] First try at posting to the list.

Hello everyone.
I have had the list sent to my mailbox for two years. I have enjoyed
reading the posts and have learned a lot. I would like to thank everyone
for all the information. I have a question. I live in Oregon just on the
east side of the coast range. The wind here is awful. What do you do about
the wind? I put up a row of douglas fir that are now pretty good sized but
that doesn't seem to have been very effective. Not very much has been said
about where everyone keeps their trees. I would appreciate hearing how
everyone or anyone has dealt with wind problems.
Judy in Oregon

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Lynn Boyd

Hello everyone.
I have had the list sent to my mailbox for two years. I have enjoyed
reading the posts and have learned a lot. I would like to thank everyone
for all the information. I have a question. I live in Oregon just on the
east side of the coast range. The wind here is awful. What do you do

about
the wind? I put up a row of douglas fir that are now pretty good sized

but
that doesn't seem to have been very effective. Not very much has been

said
about where everyone keeps their trees. I would appreciate hearing how
everyone or anyone has dealt with wind problems.
Judy in Oregon

-------------------
Judy,

Welcome on - and we have other Oregon listers, so if you will tell us
your exact location it would help. Oregon is geographically unlike many
states in the "wind" possibilities since we have so many valleys, the
coast, high peaks, and "rain shadows" and a confusing number of zones.
I am in the Willamette Valley - not as windy, perhaps hotter, but I
have lived near the coast on the east side, too, protected from the wind by
foothills. You must be in a funnel situation with wind pouring by you.
That is a consideration for sure.
Can you pick a side of the house that offers you some protection and
create some kind of protection based or attached to that ? Do you have a
problem with rain, which can wash soil off to the aggravation level during
rainy seasons? That is a consideration in establishing a location for
protection - I think of three protective situations when considering my
bonsai - wind and rain and shade/sun.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Iris Cohen

The wind here is awful. What do you do about the wind?

The surest thing is to tie the pots down to the bench. And have the trees wired
into the pots. For most trees, wind is healthful because it promotes sturdy
growth. Of course if you have a chamsin (Santa Ana) all summer, you will need
to put up a windbreak, some sort of fence.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)