Old 11-03-2006, 02:16 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Primal1

Default Potting question and much more......

Hello Everyone, I am a total novice on this subject of Bonsai and I'm here
to get pointed in the right direction(s). First let me explain that my
interest in Bonsai is coming from a hobby (with hopes to make it a vocation)
of creating planters, pots or decorative objects from concrete and
hypertufa. What I make are mostly one of a kind pieces. I don't use
commercial molds but I do make my own. I am working on making pots to
resemble natural stone (mainly for the Bonsai enthusiasts) and that's the
main reason I'm here. OK now to my point.

I participate in several forums about concrete/hypertufa and in one we got
onto the subject of new plantings in pots of concrete and the possible
effects of alkilinity from the cement. Some are of the opinion that you need
to age the pot at least a year before planting things especially Bonsai.
Others said that because the concrete is 98-99% cured at 30 days that just
making sure the container has been well leeched (soaking in several changes
of water during the 30 day cure) that is good enough and you can plant with
no problems. What is the opinion here? LOL I know that's a loaded question
but I thought I'd ask a group of concerned participants.My opinion is that
it depends on several variables including the type of plant, size of of
plant and pot etc.. I think it's one of those subjects with no hard and fast
answer.

Also because of this new interest I want to try my hand with Bonsai for my
personal enjoyment. I live in Wisconsin, Z4-5 and am interested in several
varieties of naturally growing trees we have here. Specifically:

Cedar, Eastern Red Juniperus virginiana
Juniper, Common Juniperus communis
Juniper, Creeping Juniperus horizontalis

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/her..._by_common.htm

I have a several places where I can harvest these growing out of a sandstone
bluff overlooking the Wisconsin River. They are stunted and twisted
naturally from their growing conditions and will need vey little "training".
How feasible is this?

Sorry to make this such a long post but I have so many questions all at once
.

Can you please let me know of some good books to read on the subject.
Hopefully I can get them at the library. Are there some good web sites you
can point me to that will help? I can do the Google thing but there is so
much to sort through I thought I'd get better results asking here.

If anyone would be interested I have a forum up and running about creating
with concrete/hypertufa and more. You can learn to make your own
pots/containers!! Please come and visit. There's not much to see though
unless you register. Your privacy is assured too. Your email is NOT viewable
by others unless you want it to be. The forum has lots to offer anyone with
an interest in this.

Thanks.
David

Forum Link: