Old 20-03-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Kevin Parks

Default Bonsai Seedling Help

Hello,

I have a sprouted bonsai from seed. I wanted to know if i should trim
the roots, what depth of soil to keep it in, or anything else that would
help keep it alive and grow into a nice bonsai.

Here is a picture of it now:

http://students.its.txstate.edu/~kp1143/IMG_3060.jpg

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 24-03-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bobc

Hello Kevin,
I wouldn't do anything to it for a few years other than taking care of
it. What kind of tree is it? Is it a conifer? If it's a temerate
tree, it should probably go outside in the appropriate season. I live
in US zone 6/7. Philadelphia, Pa. I have a pine (P. mugho), a couple
junipers, a Redbud (Cercis canadensis), a Spruce (Abies), a Maple (Acer
palmatum? - Japanese maple) and a couple Chaemycyperus obtusa (spelling
doesn't look quite right - also called Hinoki cypress).
They all live outside year round.
Before you decide where to site the seedling, you'll need to know what
kind of tree it is.
Warning : Soapbox!!
There is no such thing as a 'bonsai' seed. The word Bonsai, I believe,
means "to plant in a pot or tray" and over time has come to be applied
to the plants in them. It's frustrating to see these so called Bonsai
kits with 'special bonsai seeds' in them. In my humble, cranky opinion
it is a lying scam, intended to seperate the unwary from their money.
However, I could be wrong. (I try to be wrong once or twice a day, to
blend in more easily. g)
Anyway .... enjoy your new baby and let us know what kind of tree it
is.
Bob C.