GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bonsai carob tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/141576-bonsai-carob-tree.html)

Jonathan Sachs 26-03-2006 09:47 PM

Bonsai carob tree?

I'm interested in growing a carob tree from seeds that I collected
several years ago. I'm now living in a region where carob trees
cannot survive the winter, so if I grow one, it will have to be a
bonsai, or at least it will have to be kept in a tub.

I did some web research and found that the carob can indeed be grown
as a bonsai. However, most of the information I found was in ads for
"bonsai carob seeds," implying seeds that come from some particular
variety that can be bonsai'ed. Is that correct? If so, the seeds I
collected are not likely to work out, since the tree they came from
was quite large.

If anyone here has experience with dwarfed or bonsai'ed carobs, I'd
appreciate any additional tips or observations you can offer. In
particular, do they ever produce fruit? (I understand that carob
trees often turn out to predominantly male or female, which poses
obvious problems for making a single tree fruit . I'm only asking
whether there is a reasonable chance that it COULD.)

My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

bobc 01-04-2006 12:09 AM

Bonsai carob tree?

I have no experience with Carob Bonsai, but I can assure there is no
such thing as special bonsai seeds. It is merely propaganda, intended
to seperate the unwary from their money.
It is somewhat possible for a particular clone to come true from seed
but I wouldn't count on it. If a particular cultivar has naturally
reduced leaf size or some other desireable characteristic, buy
cuttings.
Bob