Old 28-03-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Michelle Bailey

Default bonsai money

I have two bonsais which are money plants. I think that's what they're
called. The new leaves are too big. What should I do to make it look like
a bonsai rather than a regular house plant?
Michelle

Old 29-03-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bonsai

Michelle Bailey wrote:
I have two bonsais which are money plants. I think that's what they're
called. The new leaves are too big. What should I do to make it look like
a bonsai rather than a regular house plant?
Michelle

Hi Michelle:

The leaves on a money plant are normally about 2-3 inches in length.
If that is what you have you can not "shrink" the leaves. Things like
leaves, flowers and fruit are the same size in your bonsai as they are
in a normal full grown tree. You can "leaf strip" the tree by pulling
or cutting the old leaves off. This will cause the tree to make new
leaves assuming it is healthy otherwise. You can and should trim the
roots of the tree to keep it small. I do this every two years when I
replant the tree in new soil.

I hope this helps.

Curt

Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bobc

Hello!
While the flowers and fruit of a Bonsai tree won't reduce in size, the
leaves will. It takes time though. I'm not an expert, but I think
that removing the leaves of a deciduous tree is one of the techniques
used in reducing leaf size. I believe that, depending on the species,
you either leave or remove the petioles. For example, an Acer (Maple)
is trimmed by removing the leaves but not the petiole. I don't think
that coniferous trees are ever trimmed in this way.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I have never grown a money tree.
If you know the scientific name you may find it easier to find
information about your tree.
Bob