Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

Default Bonsai troubles

Hi,

I posted once before but was not able to see any replies so hopefully
it will work this time!

I have 2 bonsai which I set up myself. One is a Melaleuca snowfire and
the other is a dwarf lilly pilly. I kind of forgot to water recently
for about 4 days, but I figured it would be ok since it was raining
occasionally throughout that time period. I was also very busy and
away from my house so I didn't check on them. Anyway, yesterday, the
leaves on both have dried and wilted and lost some green. They aren't
brown, but I suspect they might fall off.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but we are in Autumn now and the nights
are getting cooler, is it possible that the leaves are just dropping
because they are deciduous? Are they deciduous even? I thought they
were. I hope they will be ok.

I have had issues with these trees before not getting enough light -
the leaves did the same thing as they are doing now. I put them
outside and new leaves came along so it turned out ok. Hope that
happens again this time!!

Any ideas for keeping them stress free in the mean time?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bobc

HI Beano. I didn't see if anyone replied either. I have no experience
with Melaleuca, but a Google search came up with a bunch of websites.
I looked at a couple, and it seems that they might not be a deciduous
species. Both websites I quickly checked mentioned they like damp
sites. Perhaps yours just needed more water? Perhaps they do have a
leafless season coinciding with a dry, rather than cold, season?
I have no idea what a Dwarf Lilly pilly tree could be. If you know the
scientific name, try searching under that.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Bob

Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

I found a scientific name - it's Acmena Smithii var. Minor. I'm pretty
sure it's an Australian Native tree. Anyway, it's supposedly good for
hedges and topiary trees. I also read somewhere that it is also and
evergreen. I also read that it is hardy, so hopefully the leaves will
come back on mine!!!

Old 15-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Tinana Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano
[...]

Hi Beano,
Yes, Acmenia Smithii var Minor is an Australian native.
As far as I know, none of the Lilly Pilly species whether they be Acmenia, Syzigium, or Eugenia are deciduous and most are pretty hardy. All trees do end up dropping leaves, but if they all went at once - especially in conjunction with the Melaleuca, then I would say it was severe lack of water that caused it. Most Lilly Pillys can stand a fair amount of stress so if there is still green under the bark, then I would suggest it will re-shoot again. Most Melaleucas on the other hand are not so hardy, and they do need very moist conditions. As an aside, if you ever decide to buy a block of bushland - or even a bare suburban block that hasn't been cleared, look for stands of Paperbark Melaleucas. If there are any then it is an indication that the ground gets very boggy or is prone to flooding. Most Melaleucas only have leaves on the tips of the branches and few will shoot from old wood, so unless the one you have does shoot from old wood it may not survive the ordeal. With a lot of Melaleucas, if you prune back to old wood, you have just created tomorrows firewood. You did mention that it recovered once before so hopefully it will again. Lilly Pilly species are excellent Bonsai material - Most have small leaves or will readily reduce in size, the branches and even the trunks are fairly pliable, they readily shoot, can be air-layered, and lend themselves to just about all styles of Bonsai. Good luck with your two trees, let us know if they do recover, be interesting to know.
Regards,
TinanaTaffy

Old 21-04-2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

Thanks for your reply! Well it's been a while now, but the trunk had
remained green on the lilly pilly until the other day, now it's not as
green. It's probably on it's way out. The melaleuca has got some new
sprouts, some on the old wood too! Not as quickly as last time I might
add, but hopefully it's a sign of recovery.

Both trees still have their old dead leaves on them, some are quite hard
to get off but others you just have to flick a branch and they fall off.
Should I be trimming them off or letting them drop naturally?

Thanks for your advice!

English Ivy Troubles wronp Texas 1 05-03-2005 06:49 PM
Potato troubles...? Kenneth Gardening 2 28-07-2004 04:02 PM
trimmer and chain-saw tune-up troubles Lawrence Johnson Lawns 2 08-05-2004 06:46 PM
Araceae Plant Troubles David Young Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:16 AM
lantana troubles Peter Imes Texas 1 05-04-2003 12:08 PM