Old 09-04-2006, 03:21 AM
Registered User

Default My Zelkova Schneidria - HELP!

Hello there

Last May, I received a Zelkova Scheneidria as a present, and everything was going fine until about mid December, when the leaves started to get fewer and fewer and eventually all fell off.

I decided to wait and see what it would do as I'd heard that some types of Bonsai go into dormancy, and I wasn't too sure about mine (it didn't mention anything like that in the bumf).

Now that it's the start of April again however, I'm beginning to wonder.

There are a few things I have to mention about what's happened to it, or the way I have treated it through my own lack of knowledge, and I now have lots of questions!:

When I first got it, I wasn't too sure exactly where to put it, and it was moved around to different places in the house, until, eventually being placed in a room with a south facing window, where the sun could shine directly at it.
It has now ben moved to a better place, but, how much will that have affected it??

I was away 'down south' a lot last year, and as such, it never got properly clipped back, hence it looked more like a bush at times until I could get it back under control again
Will this have affected it??

It was watered and sprayed it regularly, but could it be watered and sprayed too much??
I say this, becuase I have noticed that white stuff, almost like mould or something can accumulate in small amounts at the bottom of the tree, even now.
On the other hand however, the tree itself seems to be very dry, and there are one or two little cracks at the top of the stump (they look reasonably ok, but I'm curious).
I've started to place a small bowl of water beside it for humidity.
Also, I'm afraid that I tended to forget to feed it at times, so I decided to experiment with adding some feed to the spray, so that it got at least some regularly.
Was this a good idea or not?? and what is the best kind of feed for this tree type??

Due to over zeallous watering at times when I first got it, part of the top soil washed away, leaving bits of the material underneath showing through and the roots slightly more exposed that they otherwise would be.
Now, the tree had seemed ok up until December, so nothing was ever done about and I was/am planning to re - pot it in the spring anyway.
What, if any, will that have affected it??

Should I re - pot it soon, or should I leave it until the leaves start growing back again??

Lastly, if it is just in Dormancy, how exactly should I treat it??
I have continued watering it regularly, and it's still in it's current, warm, brightly lit location in the living room with the small bowl of water beside it.
Should it be in a cool or/and dark place??

If it isn't supposed to be in domancy, then, what is it, is it jsut simply it's surroundings and it's bumbling owner, or is it some kind of disease?? (and if it is, then what do I do?)

I'm sorry to ramble on there, but I'm tired here and just want to ask it all in one big message.

Talking of which, if this is the part of the group/forum where I cannot see many people's replies, then how do I go about sorting that??

Anyway, thanks.

Douglas, in sunny West Central Scotland.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Registered User

Talking of which, if this is the part of the group/forum where I cannot see many people's replies, then how do I go about sorting that??

Hey guys, if there have been answers out there, then how do I see them??

What group is it all on??

Appologies for my ignorance.

Thanks.
__________________
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Well, don't all rush at once, will you??

What the hell is wrong here??
__________________
Old 13-04-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Wayne C. Morris

In article ,
Douglas wrote:

Well, don't all rush at once, will you??

What the hell is wrong here??

Douglas, you got several replies, but GardenBanter isn't letting you see
them. GardenBanter's bonsai forum is just a web interface to the
rec.arts.bonsai newsgroup, so messages posted in the forum get sent to the
newsgroup and vice versa. But some messages from the newsgroup aren't
showing up on GardenBanter; I think the forum is using a defective spam
filter, and it's mistakenly blacklisting certain people.

If you want to see all the messages, you'll have to find a better way to
read rec.arts.bonsai newsgroup.

If you prefer to use your web browser, Google has a decent web interface
for the newsgroups. You can find the bonsai newsgroup at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.bonsai.

Or you can read the Internet Bonsai Club mailing list archive at
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/bonsai.html. The IBC mailing list
has a one-way connection with the rec.arts.bonsai newsgroup, so messages
from the newsgroup will show up on their list and in their archives, but
messages posted in the mailing list don't show up in the newsgroup. You
can subscribe to the IBC mailing list by sending an email to
.
Old 13-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered User

Thankyou for that.
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.

how to care for zelkova schneidria SG Bonsai 1 05-01-2004 01:33 AM
[IBC] zelkova needs nebari help Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 12-05-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] I need quick help on zelkova Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 3 21-04-2003 08:44 PM
[IBC] Zelkova Seeds chris Bonsai 1 01-04-2003 02:56 PM
Zelkova schneideriana Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 11:36 PM