Old 16-04-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default Is it dead or just sick ?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can give me some help and advice regarding a rather
cute little Bonsai tree I was given at Christmas. Yes I know they
shouldn't be given as gifts but my daughters both knew how much I've
always loved these little trees.

It's been surviving reasonably well since then although it did lose all
of its original leaves over a period of time about the middle of
February when the temperature in the house dropped at night time. As
much as I like the idea of having a bonsai I'm afraid I can't have the
house temperature heating turned up to 'greenhouse' level 24 hours a
day.

Since February however the little tree sprouted some new shoots with
really healthy looking leaves on them. Very spindly though so when they
got to about 4" long I trimmed them back to about 1" thinking (hoping)
it might encourage some more uniform sprouting. The tree doesn't stand
in direct sunlight although it does get the early morning light and
it's not tucked away in any dark corner.

I initially wondered if the spindly shoots were the tree reaching
toward the light as it wasn't getting enough but then I read about the
dangers of direct sunlight and thought it best to leave it wher it was.
It was sprouting after all !

A few shoots appeared growing directly out of what looked like dead
branches but recently these have withered as have the leaves at the
ends of the spindly 'new' growth.

I've lost a couple of these plants in the past due to root rot caused
by overwatering so this time I watered it sparingly but without causing
the soil to dry out completely.

I've got some reasonably clear pictures of the tree if anyone can help
and would like to see them. All, and any, help will be hugely
appreciated.

I'm not too sure of exactly what type of tree it is but I think it
might be a Chinese Elm but I can't be certain. I do know for certain
it's not one of the fig type trees. It stands about 8" high in a well
drained bonsai pot. The soil appears to be a mixture of fine gravel and
the same kind of compost / soil that I've seen the really healthy tree
growing in.

The pot itself stands in a shallow dish with gravel which I keep moist
as I'm told the tree appreciates humidity although exactly how much
humidity is created by this tiny amount of water covered gravel I don't
know.

Hoping someone can help before I lose this little tree and finally
admit defeat with what I'm sure can be a pleasant and rewarding hobby /
interest.

Regards, Chris

Old 16-04-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Dan Leach

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It sounds to me like it might be suffering from a bit of over watering.
Chinese elms dont like to have moist roots all of the time. A few times i
have overwatered my chinese elm and it reacts in a similar way to what your
tree is doing. Give it a break from moisture for a few days, see if it perks
up a bit
HTH

dan