Old 12-05-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Scott Rae

Default Pumice wanted

I've been looking for a local supplier of horticultural pumice in North
Texas (Dallas) for years but no luck. Can anyone hear recommend someone
that deals in quantity (1/2 cu. yd.+) and is within 500 miles.
How about dealers that will ship?

When I started this hobby back in CA I was able to find pumice
everywhere, but since moving to Texas I haven't found anything I like
(or as inexpensive) as pumice for my soil mix.
Lave rock is a nice choice but I can't find any in the 1/16 - 1/4 inch size.

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for pumice from the local
gravel yards in So. CA these days?

Thanks,

Scott Rae
Fort Worth, TX
(Who would rather be back home in So. CA any day)
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Theo

Scott Rae wrote:

I've been looking for a local supplier of horticultural pumice in North
Texas (Dallas) for years but no luck. Can anyone hear recommend someone
that deals in quantity (1/2 cu. yd.+) and is within 500 miles.
How about dealers that will ship?

you do not really need it in your already dry climate
you can use pozzolana or lava in 5-6 mm grinded

When I started this hobby back in CA I was able to find pumice
everywhere, but since moving to Texas I haven't found anything I like
(or as inexpensive) as pumice for my soil mix.
Lave rock is a nice choice but I can't find any in the 1/16 - 1/4 inch
size.

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for pumice from the local
gravel yards in So. CA these days?

it is hard to find even in Italy unless you live in Naples
or around Etna-Sicily

Th@o
the BEST OF BONSAI
http://www.easybonsai.it
Il Sito & forum Bonsai piu letto

Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Yeah lava rock would be an excellent substitute, considering your
locale.

Pumice Wendy Orchids 10 28-06-2003 02:56 PM
Big tree wanted - quickly... advice wanted even sooner! :-) Distendo United Kingdom 4 31-05-2003 04:45 PM
advice wanted on building 10,000 gal koi pond Dennis Ponds 5 02-04-2003 08:56 AM
more than you wanted to know about fluorescent lamps Dwight Sipler Gardening 0 27-01-2003 01:24 PM
wanted grow light speeder Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:36 PM