Old 18-05-2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default "Mel's Mix" for bonsai

Hi Folks. I a am a re-newbie here having participated about 10 or so
years ago here. I was in high school then. Wierd...

I am just now gettin back into doing Bonsai and I am wondering what you
think of this particular soil mix and how it might be modified (if at
all) to suit bonsai. If you have ever read anything about "square foot
gardening" you are probably familiar with "Mel's Mix" which is just a
formula of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3rd compost, 1/3rd peat moss. (this is
not a purchased mix but one makes it oneself).

Having done vegetable gardens for awhile and only now returning to
bonsai, I have noticed the lack of talk about compost in Bonsai
circles. I have to wonder if it is not being emphasized enough. One
finds many posts on bonsai boards amounting to "help - dying bonsai."
I wonder how much of this could be avoided with more attention to
composting.

The recommended compost in the above mix is supposed to be from at
least 5 different sources. This is easier said than done, but my
vegetables are currently happy with a mix of composted manure, several
types of leaves, and composted kitchen scraps.

It is a very loose soil, easy to work with. It drains just enough and
it holds just enough. I just love the stuff. It is not easy to put
together. Coming up with 5 sources of compost, and finding vermiculte
in the quantities needed can be tough. (An idiot at home depot told me
that it was discontinued because it was carcinogenic). But I sware
that if we ever start growing vegetables on the moon or mars this is
the stuff NASA should consider using. I have grown things in the least
ideal conditions with it. I scoff at miracle-grow!

Might it be suitable for bonsai either on it's own or with some
modification?

Thanks,

-DaveK