GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] UPDATE: Black Spots Chinese Elm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/14443-re-%5Bibc%5D-update-black-spots-chinese-elm.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 10-04-2003 11:56 AM

[IBC] UPDATE: Black Spots Chinese Elm

In a message dated 4/10/2003 1:10:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

. It seems pretty healthy but when I lifted a rock (for
design) I noticed 2 earthworms. Will the earthworms have any ill effects
on
the tree?

Some members of the list feel that earthworms indicate a sick soil and
the plant should be repotted. The earthworms will not hurt the tree,
however. I usually grow Elms in Metromix 500 a mix based on coir and/or
peat. If you can prune the Elm back or put it in a larger pot (or both)
with new soil I would probably do it. I repotted some Elms over the
weekend in which the soil was worn out and not holding enough water to
support the plant. Although they had leafed out I expect them to be fine.
I doubt you are further south than I am.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 10-04-2003 01:32 PM

In a message dated 4/10/2003 5:31:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

. It seems pretty healthy but when I lifted a rock (for
design) I noticed 2 earthworms. Will the earthworms have

any ill effects
on
the tree?

Well, they are likely to leave goodies behind (or from the behind). );-)

Listen: I discovered worms in my pots over the years. Often, they appeared when pots were left on the ground in the early fall for winter storage under benches. I was unable to make a correlation between worms and a particular soil mixture. My observat
ion was that they would take up residency in both fast and slow draining mixes.

So, if you find the worms, remove them. If not, I doubt that you will incur a problem. After all, this would not be the first time worms have taken up residency with trees in nature.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Michael