Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] How to grow - was - Why I dislike Serissa

Hello Group,

Perhaps,I can suggest a few reasons as to why
Serissas grow well in a proper tropical zone.
The West Indies/Caribbean.

Of the Chinese type - rough bark,small thin leaves
single white flowers.

[1]They enjoy full sun and a moist well draining soil
with at least 1/3 organic matter [ I use compost and
am also presently testing coconut peat{coco-peat}].

[2] I fertilise every 2 weeks using Blaucorm.I believe
there are some micro-nutrients.I haven't re-read the
notes on the bags for years.
No fertiliser,in the rainy season,normally June to early
December.Varies from year to year.

[3]Seems to need warm soil as I have stuck cuttings
on an active compost heap and most of the cuttings took.

Apart from that it's an easy situation.

As I stated before,a few years ago and recently.I believe
this shrub can reach over 6'-8' and may even reach 10'.
I will keep the group informed as time passes.
I will try for a 5" trunk and also keep the group informed.
Khaimraj
[ West Indies/The Caribbean
Sempre Spring Zone.]

* Now how about a difficult tree - The Sageretia Theesans.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Jim Lewis

As I stated before,a few years ago and recently.I believe
this shrub can reach over 6'-8' and may even reach 10'.
I will keep the group informed as time passes.
I will try for a 5" trunk and also keep the group informed.
Khaimraj

Were we to do that, Khaimraj, we'd all have to move to T&T. I
doubt there'll ever be an "S" with a 5-inch trunk up here in the
temperate zone -- though I could be wrong -- even though Serissa
is not truly a tropical plant.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 14-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Were we to do that, Khaimraj, we'd all have to move to T&T. I
doubt there'll ever be an "S" with a 5-inch trunk up here in the
temperate zone -- though I could be wrong -- even though Serissa
is not truly a tropical plant.

I was amazed to see Serissas growing on the grounds of the Bronx
Botanical Garden- I think a lot more people could overwinter their
Serissas outdoors than think they could, and the Serissas would
probably be happier if they did. These plants, however, were only a
foot or so tall- they didn't look like they would ever reach 6 feet
tall.

If we could visit the natural habitat of a Serissa, the Chinese
subtropical forest, we'd probably have a better grasp of how to take
care of the thing. The Brooklyn Botanical Garden has a subtropical
greenhouse, and yes, they have Serissas in it, along with a bunch of
other plants familiar to us as houseplants. I can't emphasize this
enough: it's possible to grow anything anywhere as long as you
understand the plant's growth requirements and give it what it needs.

Nina, who met a man this weekend who had kept a Juniper indoors for 7
years before it died!!!!!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello to All,

Nina typed-
I can't emphasize this

enough: it's possible to grow anything anywhere as long as you
understand the plant's growth requirements and give it what it needs.

My response[ beaming with pride],

The Hackberrys have been out of the refrigerator since
the 1st of April and are leafing out beautifully.
At the beginning of May,I will defoliate for finer foliage.

Testing the fridge effect on Chinese Pistachio,still awaiting
their new growth.

Cut back my Gingko and also awaiting the new growth.
It was about 18" tall,with only 3 branches.So I cut it
back down to about 10" or so.

The trident maple and black pines continue to grow unaided
by the refrigerator process.New crop of black pine seedlings
started last year,so I get to further my research on their
growing.

The dry season is very pronounced this year and the Black pine
growth is very slow.Keeping the Trident in shade and on top
of a moist compost heap,to help the new leaves along.
Isn't Bonsai fascinating.
Khaimraj
[ West Indies/The Caribbean
Sempre Spring Zone]