Old 13-04-2003, 08:44 AM
James Quinan

Default Trunks - to chop or not to chop

As a beginner in the art of bonsai, I would like some feedback on cutting
the trunks of trees. I am of the opinion (admittedly based on absolutely no
experience whatsoever) that trunks should be kept intact whenever possible,
as I like the natural way the tree looks. I've seen many wonderful trees (in
my opinion) ruined by the nursery or grower hacking it off (apparently at
random). I am aware that cutting the trunk does serve a purpose, but have
not the foggiest what that is. Most of my plants are still seedlings, none
over a foot high, and I intend wherever possible to keep the trunks intact,
except for the necessary topping to stop upward growth when they get to the
size I want them. The one larger varigated fig I have I only removed the new
shoots at the apex and ends of the branches, with the idea that it would
stop the upward and outward growth and help the trunk and branches thicken
up and promote foliage growth further back.
As a novice, with absolutely no prior gardening or horticultural experience,
I admit I have much to learn and that it is a bit presumtuous of me to
assume I am right in this, and that I may be wrong. Any and all replies or
I'm keen to learn.
Cheers all,
James