GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   soil and wisterias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/147556-soil-wisterias.html)

Melissa Moore 09-07-2006 09:01 PM

soil and wisterias

I have about 12 bonsai. I started up with bonsai about 6 years ago, and
belong to a bonsai club, but still consider myself a novice.

First, the soil our club uses (modified as needed for each tree) is:
equal parts pumice, lava, and fir bark. I add akadama for some trees.
Do you think this is a good mix? (I live in the northern Central Valley
of California. Temps up to 110 in summer with no rain (our dry season),
and down to 35-40 (our wet season, with lots of rain and occasional frost).

Next, my wisteria. I bought it a well-respected bonsai farm (and it
wasn't cheap!) Yet I can't figure out how to bonsai it. It blooms every
spring, but I haven't figured out to prune and/or wire it so that it
will become a true bonsai.

Melissa