Old 13-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Trunks - to chop or not to chop

As a beginner in the art of bonsai, I would like some feedback
on cutting
the trunks of trees.

GoTo: www.evergreengardenworks.com and check out the articles
there. There's at least one article on trunk chops and making
taper.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi James. You write,
As a beginner in the art of bonsai, I would like some
feedback on cutting the trunks of trees. ...SNIP re'
'how I imagine it to be'....
As a novice, with absolutely no prior gardening or
horticultural experience, I admit I have much to learn
and that it is a bit presumtuous of me to assume I am
right in this, and that I may be wrong. Any and all replies
or responses will be greatly appreciated, I may be a bit
of a smarty pants, but I'm keen to learn.

Nice bit of persuasive writing. Makes others want you to see clearly the
pros & cons for trunk chopping. Jim Lewis's pointer to Brent Walston's
article on using trunk chopping to advantage is about as good as bonsai
advice ever gets. I wish there was as good an explaination for avoiding
chopping to raise elegant, graceful bonsai tree forms-- perhaps someone
knows a source. Brent is in a class shared by few in describing
horticulture & design decisions with clarity... and he publishes these to
the IBC and posts them on his website generously.

Folks on the mail list have opportunity to grow in many ways. Learning a
little from your writing style, from Brent's bonsai knowledge and clarity,
from Jim's tireless efforts to see everyone gets an answer.

Best wishes,
Chris... C Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA