GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are you serious, fine art etc (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/14853-re-you-serious-fine-art-etc.html)

James Quinan 14-04-2003 01:44 AM

Are you serious, fine art etc

I love the discussions that go on here, the free exchange of ideas, even the
occasional grumpy dissenter who stirs the pot. I'm a novice, but "serious"
bonsai enthusiast - I like that word best; two definitions of this word I
have come across are "inspired by God" or "mad", the both of which describe
me :-).
I like the gentle humour that Iris, Jim and others use. I got into this
because I wanted a hobby that would engage my mind, enrich my spirit, keep
my hands busy and give me some pleasure and some fun (ok, and pain,
frustration and a bit of worry). The point is, ultimately for me this is
supposed to be fun. I'm not saying not a lot of hard work either, or not to
be serious about it, but If it aint fun I aint gonna do it. I fell into that
trap some time ago with Tai Chi. Having done martial arts in the past, when
I started doing Tai Chi I was waaaayyyyy too serious about the forms and
patterns and missed the whole point of the exercise - to enjoy it and have
fun. It ruined a beautiful and peaceful pastime for me, and I ended up
giving it away.
I see here an opportunity to interact with and pick the brains of some
(IMHO) very experienced and talented people. I take every opportunity I can
to do that - helps me learn and grow as a person, and reminds me that as
smart as I may think I am, I know bugger all about anything really, and that
is good for me.
As far as art goes, I'll just say one thing - art is anything that speaks to
or touches the soul of a person - doesn't matter if its the artist or a
spectator. All art is born of the spirit. Intellect has absolutely nothing
to do with it. If I have to think about it, it aint art. I I feel it, it is.
Recognition by peers, critics, experts (I was told ex is a has-been, spurt a
drip under pressure BTW) is irrelevant.
Having given my 2 bob's worth, I'll shut up now.

Cheers
James