Old 14-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] is it time to collect?

I'm a bonsai newbie from Seattle. When is the ideal time to
collect bonsai?

I plan on taking a trip into the mountains to find a couple. Do

I need a permit?

Now, and yes.

If you are on federal land you need a permit from the federal
agency that manages the land. If it's state land, you need a
permit from the state (generally harder to get that from the
feds). If it is private land you need permissions from the
landowner -- and I'd get it in writing in case the owner's agent
discovers you out there digging things up.

The ONLY way you don't need some kind of permit these days is if
YOU own the land.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Reiner Goebel

Jim Lewis wrote:

An additional note:

If you have never dug a tree before, I suggest you go out with at
least one experienced tree collector.

You took the words out of my mouth. ;-)

For a greenhorn to go collecting by himself is at best a waste of his
time and at worst a waste of plant material. I would even suggest to
wait with collecting from the wild until one has learned how to keep
potted trees alive for two or three years.

Reiner Goebel
Toronto, Canada
http://www.rgbonsai.com
Old 14-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Tony Ashton

Before you traipse into the cascade foothills to find yourself that perfect
Mountain Hemlock, Lodge pole Pine, or hit the Columbia basin for a Western
Juniper, I would suggest you join the Puget Sound Bonsai Association (
http://psba.8m.com/ ). They meet near the UW campus, centrally located to
most of Seattle. Aligning yourself with this group will also get you in on
the action early for the Pacific Northwest Bonsai Convention, which is being
hosted in Seattle by the PSBA this year. Not to mention, Dave Degroot
(Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection at Weyerhaeuser
http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/aboutus/...arters/bonsaic
ollectionb.asp ) is giving Free (YES FREE!) seminars every other Sunday ( i
believe ) this year starting in May...Go... you MUST GO! When you get done
with that, head to Bonsai Northwest (http://www.bonsainw.com/default.asp )
and visit, shop, drool, shop some more, clean up embarrassing drool...

Then, After you have had the chance to learn the basics and done all of the
above - hook up with someone experienced who is going collecting.

Tony Ashton
Portland Oregon