Old 18-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Default basic starter question

Hello

I am new to bonsai, i want to attemp to grow one, is there an easy or starter on, anyone would suggest trying ?
Old 18-10-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Haggo wrote:
Hello

I am new to bonsai, i want to attemp to grow one, is there an easy or
starter on, anyone would suggest trying ?

For what growing climate? Where do you live?

Old 19-10-2006, 02:16 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

I would recommend to start with a Serrisa or Ficus. These are both
forgiving trees and can take alot of stress and bounce back. They can
be grown indoors in the cold winters too.

Old 20-10-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Ture they are fussy and loose leaves when stressed but bounce back
quickly and still pretty go od to learn from.

Ebony is another good one to play with and learn from.

Scooter the Mighty wrote:
wrote:
I would recommend to start with a Serrisa or Ficus. These are both
forgiving trees and can take alot of stress and bounce back. They can
be grown indoors in the cold winters too.

I agree with the ficus recommendation. I haven't done a Serrisa but
from what I've heard they're really fussy. Texas Ebony is pretty tough
for indoor bonsai.
here do you live?

Old 29-10-2006, 07:09 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

I suggest you start with Chinese Elm. Very easy plant to grow - no need
to worry about over watering or under watering.

--
Haggo

Old 21-11-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
jb jb is offline

I like elms. They are also tough and I happened to love them. They are
my favorite material. It's sad that most new people start with junipers
which in my opinion are much more difficult than other species. Of
course, like everyone knows they are already dead when you get them home
from home depot. I'm a big fan of deciduous trees so I'm a little
biased. Get a a tree from a reputable online dealer or if your lucky to
live in an area where there is a good bonsai nursery go there. Do not
purchase trees in malls or the big box stores. Its nice to start out
with an actual semi-finished bonsai. You have at least one bonsai that
is recognizable as bonsai. Then you can start making your own out of
material you find at you neighborhood nursery or from collected
material. It takes time to transform these into bonsai. You will lose
trees. It happens to everyone. It is a process that takes time to learn.
Even when you learn you will still lose trees. Try and find someone who
knows bonsai in your area and who knows a good soil mix. That is the
key. Depending on where you live the soil mix will change due to
different environmental conditions. Here in Phoenix we want a very quick
draining soil. We may have to water more often but we have a problem
when our mix retains too much water during August and September. The
reason is that our tree's roots tend to cook during these hot months. I
hope I was helpful. Welcome to the wonderful world of bonsai.

Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Haggo wrote:
Hello

I am new to bonsai, i want to attemp to grow one, is there an easy or
starter on, anyone would suggest trying ?

--
Haggo

In Louisiana I recommend Bald Cypress or Wisteria as a beginner tree.
Over watering seem to be the biggest killer of trees. You can't over
water either.

Snowblower starter question dave Lawns 1 07-01-2006 05:51 PM
Basic Lily question Carl Beyer Ponds 7 05-06-2003 10:44 AM
snowblower manual pull starter question Alan Lawns 4 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
basic botony question: What triggers perrenials to begin regrowing? Adam Schwartz Gardening 9 26-04-2003 12:44 PM
snowblower manual pull starter question Alan Lawns 4 24-02-2003 08:59 AM