Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default HELP! Too many worms a BAD thing?

Hi. I've had a chinease elm for a couple of years now. 2 years ago it
was pretty devastated by greenfly - but upon realised they were there
and removing them, it started to recover.

It had plenty of suntime over spring /summer06 but is still looking
sorry for itself and pretty bare. I've been watering it using a water
can that collects rainwater outside - there's sometimes a leaf or two
decomposing in there too.

It's recently started putting out lots of long green shoots which it
did last year and I left. This year I'm trimming them to encourage
fuller growth. They are all dropping their fresh green leaves and dying
though.

I've noticed a number of worms in the soil, which is generally not an
issue - but could they actually be BAD? Too much aeration and drying
out the soil? and could they have all come from the leaves falling into
the water?

Any ideas gratefully received - It's a lovely shaped tree and I'd love
to get it back in shape.
Thanks
Roy