Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Saving a Bonsai. Newbie question(s)

I have had a problem with a couple of bonsai trees
recently. These are Zelkova. which I have had growing
near a window in a room which was generally unheated.

This is at least PART of your problem. Zelkova are OUTSIDE
trees. They will die indoors.

The trees were fine during the Winter months, but
recently have started shedding
leaves at an alarming rate ( after the leaves had turned
yellow).

Zelkova are deciduous. They lose their leaves IN THE FALL if
they get cold weather. You didn't let them have the cold they
need, so they're losing leaves now. Whether they get new ones
will depend on whether you can get these trees outside -- and
keep them there.

Could this be due to greater exposure to
sunlight? Given their position, I do not think that the
amount of direct sunlight would be very great;
would even a small amount of such sunlight cause
this problem.

I suppose the LACK of light could also be contributing. Indoor
trees don't get anywhere near the emount of light as those who
live outdoors, even on a sunny windowsill.

One tree has shed nearly all its leaves,
and the remaining leaves are turning yellow.
What else apart from sunlight could be causing this
problem? What could I do to improve the situation?

Get it outside, soonest!

Another question. I have bought a couple of new
bonsai. Previous ones have been rather rootbound,
buit I do not want to repot these just yet, as they look
quite healthy ( and I cannot be sure that they are indeed
rootbound). Will it do any harm to delay repotting
until next spring?

This is the best time to repot (assuming you're not in Florida or
deep-south Texas, where it's already summer). What species?

Lift them out of the pot they're in. This will NOT hurt them.
If they are rootbound, you will see roots circling around the
rootball at the edge of the rootball, it's rootbound, and you
oughta repot.

Sounds to me that you need a local club. Look for one, and join.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Carl L Rosner

Jim:
Generally, when the leaves turn yellow it is due to over watering. When
a tree is exposed to the sun after being indoors, they usually turn
many different colors, like they were sun burned. Olive green to a pale
bronze color is more common than just turning yellow.

You can just try to pull your tree out of its pot to see if the tree is
roootbound. The tree may be wired into the pot. You can usually tell
by checking the drain holes to see if there are wires that extend from
each of the drain holes; these should be cut. It is also adviseable to
bend all the wires to a right angle from the bottom of the pot. A sharp
tap on the pot, while holding the trunk should loosen the pot from the pot.

As a side note; from what I have read most of the Zelkova imported into
the UK are in reality Chinese Elm.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner

Buridan wrote:

I have had a problem with a couple of bonsai trees
recently. These are Zelkova. which I have had growing
near a window in a room which was generally unheated.
The trees were fine during the Winter months, but
recently have started shedding
leaves at an alarming rate ( after the leaves had turned
yellow). Could this be due to greater exposure to
sunlight? Given their position, I do not think that the
amount of direct sunlight would be very great;
would even a small amount of such sunlight cause
this problem. One tree has shed nearly all its leaves,
and the remaining leaves are turning yellow.
What else apart from sunlight could be causing this
problem? What could I do to improve the situation?

Another question. I have bought a couple of new
bonsai. Previous ones have been rather rootbound,
buit I do not want to repot these just yet, as they look
quite healthy ( and I cannot be sure that they are indeed
rootbound). Will it do any harm to delay repotting
until next spring?

E-mail replies welcome.

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++