Old 20-04-2003, 04:44 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Hawthorn transplanting

I dug a fairly large hawthorn (5 m tall and 15 cm diameter) today from a
neighbor's yard (it got cut back to a meter). However, the roots are
terrible. How well does hawthorn sprout new roots from large cut-off roots
when transplanted? Does anyone have experience with inarch grafting of
seedlings to create new rootage?

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Iris Cohen

I dug a fairly large hawthorn (5 m tall and 15 cm diameter) today from a
neighbor's yard (it got cut back to a meter). However, the roots are
terrible. How well does hawthorn sprout new roots from large cut-off roots
when transplanted?

From my limited experience, hawthorns are pretty tough. The only exception I
found was Washington thorn, which died after I put it in the ground. English
hawthorn did fine after I wrestled it from a nursery pot into a bonsai pot. I
had to cut off a lot of roots, but I also cut off a lot of the top.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 20-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim Lewis

I dug a fairly large hawthorn (5 m tall and 15 cm diameter)
today from a
neighbor's yard (it got cut back to a meter). However, the

roots are
terrible. How well does hawthorn sprout new roots from large

cut-off roots
when transplanted? Does anyone have experience with inarch

grafting of
seedlings to create new rootage?

All the haws I have experience with are among the most difficult
to transplant. I've never managed one even close to that size.

Haws are one of those trees that are best transplanted by
degrees. They are, like wild blueberry (Vaccinium), a Genus
whose roots run for a very long distance and have very few small
root hairs.

I suggest you handle it a bit like a cutting and put rooting
hormone on the cut ends of all the large roots.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
I dug a fairly large hawthorn (5 m tall and 15 cm diameter)

today from a
neighbor's yard (it got cut back to a meter). However, the

roots are
terrible. How well does hawthorn sprout new roots from large

cut-off roots
when transplanted? Does anyone have experience with inarch

grafting of
seedlings to create new rootage?

All the haws I have experience with are among the most difficult
to transplant. I've never managed one even close to that size.

Strange. I seem to remember Tony (Tickle) writing about hawthorns being
easily transplanted. Even if all the major roots have been cut off. As
long as some tiny roots are preserved. I trusted his advice and
collected a hawthorn this spring. Not even remotely as large as the one
Mary collected, but I cut off almost all the roots (some also by mistake
). The buds are (already) swelling, so I'm not too worried at the
moment.

Old 22-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Mike Bennett

My own experience of collecting hawthorns is that they tend to be very quick
to strike roots, but very slow to put on significant root growth. The best
results I've had have been using akadama and grit 50:50 and plenty of
patience.

Similar story when trying to airlayer hawthorns, they produce roots
tantalisingly quickly but then you have to wait at least a couple of years
before you get anything really capable of sustaining the tree. Needless to
say, I gave up trying airlayering!

Mike Bennett. UK