GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   A long branch - what to do with it (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/157941-long-branch-what-do.html)

[email protected] 03-05-2007 06:04 PM

A long branch - what to do with it

I have a recenty bought bonsai (Chinese Elm, c. 6 years old) which as
well as the normal crown has this year grown a single very long branch
(well, okay, it isn't exactly fat enough to be called a branch yet,
but still), which reaches to the floor. I suppose the normal thing to
do would be to remove it when pruning to shape? Is there anything more
imginative I could do with it instead? I know, it is difficult to tell
without seeing it, and I haven't seen any style in which such a single
branch would fit, I'm just wondering if anyone with more ideas and
experience than me wants to make some suggestions before I attack it
with pruning shears :-)

--
All the best,
Dog

Nick Cramer 04-05-2007 05:40 AM

wrote:
I have a recenty bought bonsai (Chinese Elm, c. 6 years old) which as
well as the normal crown has this year grown a single very long branch
(well, okay, it isn't exactly fat enough to be called a branch yet,
but still), which reaches to the floor. I suppose the normal thing to
do would be to remove it when pruning to shape? Is there anything more
imginative I could do with it instead? I know, it is difficult to tell
without seeing it, and I haven't seen any style in which such a single
branch would fit, I'm just wondering if anyone with more ideas and
experience than me wants to make some suggestions before I attack it
with pruning shears :-)

Could you post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens ?

~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 05-05-2007 04:32 AM

wrote:
I have a recenty bought bonsai (Chinese Elm, c. 6 years old) which as
well as the normal crown has this year grown a single very long branch
(well, okay, it isn't exactly fat enough to be called a branch yet,
but still), which reaches to the floor. I suppose the normal thing to
do would be to remove it when pruning to shape? Is there anything more
imginative I could do with it instead? I know, it is difficult to tell
without seeing it, and I haven't seen any style in which such a single
branch would fit, I'm just wondering if anyone with more ideas and
experience than me wants to make some suggestions before I attack it
with pruning shears :-)

Could you post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens ?

Include bonsai in the Subject, please.

~Semper Fi~

Jim Lewis 05-05-2007 03:25 PM

Nick Cramer wrote:
wrote:
I have a recenty bought bonsai (Chinese Elm, c. 6 years old) which as
well as the normal crown has this year grown a single very long branch
(well, okay, it isn't exactly fat enough to be called a branch yet,
but still), which reaches to the floor. I suppose the normal thing to
do would be to remove it when pruning to shape? Is there anything more
imginative I could do with it instead? I know, it is difficult to tell
without seeing it, and I haven't seen any style in which such a single
branch would fit, I'm just wondering if anyone with more ideas and
experience than me wants to make some suggestions before I attack it
with pruning shears :-)

Could you post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens ?

Better yet, go to
www.internetbonsaiclub.org, click on galleries,
register, then post the picture there (after reading the "Picture
Posting Guidelines" at the head of the Potensai gallery. ou'll
have LOTS of help available to you there.

Jim Lewis - - Columbus, NC - It is our earth,
not yours or mine or his. We are meant to live on it, helping
each other, not destroying each other. - J. Krishnamurti

Nick Cramer 08-05-2007 12:07 PM

A long branch - what to do with it

Jim Lewis wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
wrote:
[ . . . ]

Better yet, go to
www.internetbonsaiclub.org, click on galleries,
register, then post the picture there (after reading the "Picture
Posting Guidelines" at the head of the Potensai gallery. ou'll
have LOTS of help available to you there.

I would, but that's just too complicated for this old codger.

~Semper Fi~

Theo 11-05-2007 09:51 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

Posting Guidelines" at the head of the Potensai gallery. ou'll have
LOTS of help available to you there.

and be careful not to step on anyone sore corn , a
frustrated crone , sad old neglected alone
acidic woman or men...
do not say merry christmas is no- no might offend jew or
arabs or wicca
or whomever that does not think like you ...
tolerance is only one way , you must endure their crises
menaces and nagging and bad mood ...
but must squat at their caprices and quickly apologise
or will be banned...

be as much as you can politically correct .. and learn
nothing ..
OR buy a book end enjoy bonsai
:-D

Theo

Lies are sweet to hear / le menzogne sono dolci all'orecchio
But truth has a bitter taste !/ ma la verita ha un
gusto amaro

Nick Cramer 11-05-2007 10:47 PM

A long branch - what to do with it

Theo wrote:
Jim Lewis wrote:
[ . . . ]
Lies are sweet to hear / le menzogne sono dolci all'orecchio
But truth has a bitter taste !/ ma la verita ha un gusto amaro

I'm too old to start being PC, so I'll stay here.

And I much prefer the often ugly truth to sweet lies!

~Semper Fi~

Theo 11-05-2007 11:00 PM

Nick Cramer wrote:

Theo wrote:

Lies are sweet to hear / le menzogne sono dolci all'orecchio
But truth has a bitter taste !/ ma la verita ha un gusto amaro

I'm too old to start being PC, so I'll stay here.

And I much prefer the often ugly truth to sweet lies!

it is a good choice
cheers