Old 12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered User

Default Oh What to Do With My Maple

Hi, this is the first time I've used this forum, hope it works for me.
I have what I believe to ba a fully grown Japanese Maple of the Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' kind (at least that's what the pictures tell me it is!!) As you can tell I'm not much of a gardener. This tree stand at about 4ft tall and 3ft wide. It has beautiful blood red 'feather-like' leaves on the outside and green 'feather-like' leaves on the outside.

I inherited this tree when I bought this house, it lives in a tiny border in my back yard, and like I said, I'm not much of a gardener, so do nothing with it. I was going to get rid of the tree, but a friend of mine said that these trees at this height, are rare and valuable, I don't know if she was teasing me or not. Can anyone advise me?

Thank you
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

--
Fuzzbuzz

If the leaves are "feather like" it's probably a laceleaf maple, not a
Bloodgood. Do a google image search for "Bloodgood maple" and see if
that's what you have.

Plants get more valuable as they get older and bigger. Plant
nurseries don't like plants hanging around taking up space and
requiring care for years on end if they aren't going to make a more
money off them for the trouble. If your tree is a laceleaf it's
probably worth $300-400, if you can find someone to buy it.
Bloodgoods grow to about fifteen feet so a four footer isn't that
impressive.

Old 25-09-2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

On Aug 12, 9:35 am, Fuzzbuzz
wrote:
Hi, this is the first time I've used this forum, hope it works for me.
I have what I believe to ba a fully grown Japanese Maple of the Acer
palmatum 'Bloodgood' kind (at least that's what the pictures tell me it
is!!) As you can tell I'm not much of a gardener. This tree stand at
about 4ft tall and 3ft wide. It has beautiful blood red 'feather-like'
leaves on the outside and green 'feather-like' leaves on the outside.

I inherited this tree when I bought this house, it lives in a tiny
border in my back yard, and like I said, I'm not much of a gardener, so
do nothing with it. I was going to get rid of the tree, but a friend of
mine said that these trees at this height, are rare and valuable, I
don't know if she was teasing me or not. Can anyone advise me?

Thank you

--
Fuzzbuzz

Your maple is probably a lace leaf if the leaves are very fine and
feather-like. These are not rare, but they are expensive. One reason
they are so valuable is because this tree is usually grafted from
green maple root stock. Grafting has to be very precise and is
difficult for a beginner to succeed. Once the grafting process is
complete it can take several years for the tree to really begin to
take off, and even after the graft takes they tend to be rather slow
growing. So if your tree is tall and bushy it could be valuable to
someone appreciates time and effort that went into establishing the
tree.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered User

I have a maple and i have turned it into an outside bonsai, it has taken me four years but it stands at 3ft 9 inch and is a wonderful bonsai it sits in pride of place in my garden against a south facing hedge, the top canopy streaches over a bird bath and in the summer it looks and is very beautiful, and the pleasure that it has given me designing it over the years has been fantastic, and well worth it. so dont sell it design it into a bonsai, if you need to get a book for begginers on bonsai and if you need more help i will only be to pleased to help you.

Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 11:28 AM
Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 03:23 AM
How tall is Osakazuki - Japanese Maple Andrew Tan Gardening 4 25-02-2003 02:27 PM
[IBC] Maple dieback (in my garage?!) Joe St. Lawrence Bonsai 2 11-02-2003 07:55 PM
when to prune maple trees? Brad Lawns 1 06-11-2002 12:31 AM