Old 22-04-2003, 12:08 AM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] Elm Leaves Deformed adn Curled

My Chinese Elm's newly formed leaves located at the end of the branchlets are "rolling" up and the last few leaves that are tightly rolled are located in an area of deformity at the end of the branchlet.This appears to be occurring on the last 3 or 4 leav
es on the new branchlets. I tried to "unroll" a leaf and found a web like material. I've picked off and destroyed the leaves that were "rolled" , however I but want to spray, but am unsure of what to spray since I do not know what insect is causing this to
occur.

Unfortunately there are no bugs in sight to eat the bugs that have encased themselves in the rolled leaf!

Randi Sharp - Richmond VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

My Chinese Elm's newly formed leaves located at the end of the
branchlets are "rolling" up and the last few leaves that are
tightly rolled are located in an area of deformity at the end of
the branchlet.This appears to be occurring on the last 3 or 4
leaves on the new branchlets. I tried to "unroll" a leaf and
found a web like material. I've picked off and destroyed the
leaves that were "rolled" , however I but want to spray, but am
unsure of what to spray since I do not know what insect is
causing this to occur.

Unfortunately there are no bugs in sight to eat the bugs that

have encased themselves in the rolled leaf!

Peer hard enough into the midst of that little web covered by the
rolled leaf and you will find a tiny green or sometimes black,
worm.

Simplest means of control is to remove the leaf and squeeze it
between your thumb and forefingers (holding it away from your
body to escape the fluids that occasionally squirt out both ends
of the roll. ;-)

The elm will quickly make a new leaf.

This is primarily a spring phenomenon.

David Thoreau - Walden