Old 22-04-2003, 04:56 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Mixing Fertilizer and Super Thrive

Can you mix fertilizer and Super Thrive together when watering?

Thanks, John-NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Brent Walston

At 11:25 AM 4/22/03 -0400, John NJ wrote:
Can you mix fertilizer and Super Thrive together when watering?

tongue in cheek
It's not really a good idea. ST is so powerful that there is no telling
what will really happen, despite what is on the label (hidden in the little
text on that label is really a twenty seven page disclaimer). Even at the
one drop per gallon rate, it should be mixed and applied only with rubber
gloves, goggles, and a disposable Tyvex suit. Thoroughly rinse out all
containers using the triple rinse method, and use the rinse water to treat
plants as well to avoid toxic remains getting into streams, sewers, and the
aquifer.

FWIW: Science magazine recently reported a followup of the cold fusion
reaction studies conducted at Cornell. It seems that the reason that no one
could repeat the experiments is that the original researcher had failed to
watch his hands after handling ST. This failure in scientific protocol
resulted in his dismissal and he is now working as a reseach marketing
expert at the Vitamin Institute in Hollywood CA. His comment on being
fired, was "Well, at least my tomatoes are bigger".

There was at least one report of a severely deformed alligator found in a
Brooklyn sewer not far downstream from where Ima Doinbetter flushed a whole
bottle of ST down the drain, after mistakenly believing the expiration date
had passed. State officials in New Jersey continue to monitor the
situation, but according to one EPA source, "In NJ, how could you tell the
difference?"

Meanwhile, the ocean going science ship Glomore Explorer has reported an
increase of heavy hydrogen and phosphorescent algae off the coast of
Martha's Vineyard.

So, the short answer is, please, please don't mix fertilizer with ST, if
you care anything at all about the planet.
/tongue in cheek

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Can you mix fertilizer and Super Thrive together when watering?

While I love Brent's answer, the answer here is yes -- BUT . . .

You will get absolutely no further benefit to your plants than
you would have gotten if you'd used fertilizer alone.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Snake oil is
snake oil. Period. (and if Mark Twain didn't say that, he
should have.)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
John NJ

Jim:

I know you don't think much of ST but I tried it recently on a Serissa.
After one application I got a burst of growth that was startling. Nothing
else changed. The plant is indoors and has not been fertilized. I didn't
use one drop per gallon. I used a 1/4 teaspoon full in the gallon. I'm
trying it on the other trees this week. I'll let you know how it works. I
guess my Serissa likes snake oil.

Thanks, John-NJ

From: Jim Lewis
Subject: [IBC] Mixing Fertilizer and Super Thrive
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:14:46 -0400

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
John NJ

Brent:

Very funny. When do you have time to work on trees? :-)

John

Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 PM
adam roler

is superthrive a bad thing? should i be using something
else?

adam roler
indianapolis indiana

http://search.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim:

I know you don't think much of ST but I tried it recently on a

Serissa.
After one application I got a burst of growth that was

startling. Nothing
else changed. The plant is indoors and has not been

fertilized. I didn't
use one drop per gallon. I used a 1/4 teaspoon full in the

gallon. I'm
trying it on the other trees this week. I'll let you know how

it works. I
guess my Serissa likes snake oil.

Thanks, John-NJ

1. People tend to see what they want to see.
2. It was a Serissa, for heaven's sake; they'll do anything to
keep you guessing.
3. It is spring -- where those kinds of things just happen.
4. If you keep on using that formula for garden chemicals (if a
drop is good 100 drops must be better), you will either make your
family very ill, pollute the environment, kill a few trees, or
all of the above.

READ -- AND FOLLOW -- LABEL INSTRUCTIONS -- ALWAYS!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 22-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Jim Lewis

is superthrive a bad thing? should i be using something
else?

With the possible exception of the Vitamin B-1 it smells like it
must contain, Superthrive won't hurt your trees. And there
probably isn't enough B-1 to do any real damage.

On the other hand, it won't help, either.

I'd save my money from the purchase of a couple of bottles of
this liquid gold (to the manufacturer!) and use it to buy a large
bucket of Miracle Gro or Peters or Schultz fertilizer.

And yes, we've discussed this often. Andy Walsh did a bit of
research on it a few years ago. If you search our archives for
"superthrive" (or S'thrive, or stuporthrive -- MY name for it)
you should find it. I repeated it here last year sometime.

The manufacturer won't reveal the "secret" ingredients because .
.. . there aren't any. A pretty good indication of a scam is when
the maker of a product refuses to tell what is in it because THEY
(you know who THEY are! Don't you?) will steal the formula.
(Which is what the patent office is for, BTW.) Another
indication is the American assumption that if it stinks (or
tastes) bad enough it MUST be good for you (or plants or, for
veterinary concoctions, animals).

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 23-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Iris Cohen

Can you mix fertilizer and Super Thrive together when watering?

Why not? I have been doing it for at least 20 years.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 24-04-2003, 04:32 AM
John Carnes

On 22 Apr 2003 at 13:58, John NJ wrote:

I tried it recently on a Serissa.
After one application I got a burst of growth that was startling. I'm
trying it on the other trees this week. I'll let you know how it works.

Your comments remind me of my hippie friends who swear by various
herbal medicaments and new age what-not, ie, "I got a cold so I put in
my magic nose ring and a few days later I felt great!" Gee, what are
the chances that a cold will go away by itself in a few days?

If you really want to know if this stuff works do a controlled experiment.
Divide your trees into two groups and make sure you have an even
distribution of age, species as well as poor doers in both groups. Give
the magic potion to one group but not the other. If you really want to
be objective, have someone else apply potion and don't tell which
group got it. Keep all other conditions identical. If you see dramatic
differences between the two groups, let us know. Otherwise, expect to
see some testimonials about the dramatic flush of new growth I get by
putting magic crystals in my pots. In the spring.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Theo

HI Brent
I use ST alone & mixed with fertilizer 2x per month pines & maples
since many years and touch it with my hands sometimes.
..( I wash them asap later on of course)
Never riported skin problem
Which would be the dangers?
thanks
Theo

Brent Walston wrote:

At 11:25 AM 4/22/03 -0400, John NJ wrote:
Can you mix fertilizer and Super Thrive together when watering?

_SNIP_

Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Theo

HI Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

is superthrive a bad thing? should i be using something
else?

-SNIP-

I'd save my money from the purchase of a couple of bottles of
this liquid gold (to the manufacturer!) and use it to buy a large
bucket of Miracle Gro or Peters or Schultz fertilizer.

you prefer them( I have ) but I thought ST was an enhancer to help plants to
better assimilate fertilizers and not a "fertilizer" per se !

e manufacturer won't reveal the "secret" ingredients because .
. . there aren't any.

Coke does not either Grin and we all drink it .. moer or less
Theo

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Miracle-Gro Shake n' Feed v. Super Thrive JayDee Gardening 3 20-03-2008 09:01 AM
[IBC] Super Thrive & Roots2 [email protected] Bonsai 5 26-04-2003 08:44 PM
[IBC] Super Thrive Jim Lewis Bonsai 12 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
[IBC] Super Thrive and bias Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 24-04-2003 04:08 PM
Super Thrive Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 24-04-2003 02:20 PM