Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
asmith7

Default [IBC] How much is too much?

Hello all, I recently purchased a juniperus procumbens (nana) as a first bonsai. I bought it from the nursery without any prior bonsai training.
Before starting the initial pruning process, I checked with many sources as to how much is good to prune. Most sources say that only about 1/3 of the original foliage should be removed at one time. Others, however, make reference to trees with very s
parse foliage after a pruning, stating that the foliage will later grow in in the desired amounts and positions. These trees seemed to have much more than 1/3 of the foliage removed.
I pruned about 1/3 of the foliage off of my juniper but it is still extremely congested looking, appearing more like a bush than a tree. Would it be advisable for me to prune away all that is necessary right now, or should I wait a month or so before
further pruning? Thanks alot for the help with this newbie question!

John Smith - Morehead City, NC

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

***************

First, I want you to head on down to the Sanitary Fishmarket and
order a platter of steamed shrimp and crabs for me. I'll be
right over! ;-)

I'm no juniper expert by any means, but if you have done any
significant root work on this tree you probably need to leave
some top -- and vice versa. They don't seem to like both to
happen at one sitting.

If it is still in a nursery pot, you can do what you will with
the top -- then do the roots NEXT spring. One thing about
bonsai, you do NOT need to do it all today -- or even this year.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - A former
student (in marine geology) at the Duke University marine
laboratory in nearby Beaufort who lived in Morehead City for that
idyllic period.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Brent Walston

At 12:51 PM 4/22/03 -0500, asmith7 wrote:
[...]

What you have to understand is that formulas like 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, etc are
simply _guidelines_ for beginners or the uninitiated. People who are more
experienced don't use guidelines, they operate on a basis of understanding
what the degree of pruning does to the plant. Experts who are very
experienced can get away with a whole lot more than most folks because they
know exactly what they are doing and what they response will be. Their
conclusions are based on many factors: how many plants they have killed in
the past, the time of the year, the species of the plant, the general
health of the plant, the climate, etc.

There is no substitute for experience. The reason you see the 1/3 figure so
much is that you can whack off that much foliage on almost any plant, at
almost anytime, and the plant will _usually_ still live. So, if you have
to ask the question you asked, you are probably better off sticking to the
conservative guideline. With each additional branch you remove, you
increase the risk of death or severe damage.

Working with plants requires a whole different viewpoint and timeline than
working with non living objects. If you have at it (as most beginners are
prone to do), and it dies, you learn something, but not much. If you are
conservative, and watch carefully to see how the plant responds to what you
did, you learn a lot more.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Iris Cohen

I bought it from the nursery without any prior bonsai training.

That's OK. You need to buy a few trees in order to get some bonsai training.
;-)
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 23-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Reiner Goebel

That's OK. You need to buy a few trees in order to get some bonsai training.

Well, I don't know. Buying them won't do much for one's training, but
training them sure will. ;-)

Reiner Goebel
Toronto, Canada
http://www.rgbonsai.com

Old 23-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 4/22/2003 11:11:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

That's OK. You need to buy a few trees in order to get some bonsai training.

Well, I don't know. Buying them won't do much for one's
training, but
training them sure will. ;-)

True. As for how much is too much? You should be intimately familiar with the details of each bonsai in your collection (root pad condition, branch work, training and feeding requirements, wiring schedules, condition of the soil, bark and foliage, positio
ning, etc.)

Most importantly, you should have the TIME to work with each tree at the highest level.

Quantity should not be confused with quality. Results should not be confused with the fact that a certain tree was designed in a workshop with a certain bonsai artist or master. It is the time that YOU alone invest in the art that will lead to new discov
eries and achievements. Ultimately, the tree will become a symbol of your nurturing of a living piece of art, and this can only occur through focus and a significant TIME investment. Diluting your focus and time will result in diluted creations that stal
l and fail to evolve.

How much is too much? Clue: the number of trees is MUCH lower than one would imagine.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Old 23-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Michael wrote:

Most importantly, you should have the TIME to work with each

tree at the highest level.

Quantity should not be confused with quality.

YES!

snip

And wrote:

How much is too much? Clue: the number of trees is MUCH lower

than one would imagine.

It takes a while for most of us to realize this FACT. You can
have a gazillion ho-hum trees, a hundred OK trees, or 25-30 nice
trees.

I've only made it down to the OK level ;-) but now that I have a
few whose potential I'm beginning to see, I've become a lot more
ruthless in culling trees off my shelves. I just today planted a
Chinese quince out in my yard. It had been in a pot for several
years and, frankly, was a bit boring there (and probably bored
itself). It'll be happier with more root run.

I don't know if mame count. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 24-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Don't you guys think this could be a natural progression? I'm just starting
and I've got this constant desire to get more trees - not just to have them,
mind you, but because I know it's going to be years before I have any "good"
trees and I want to maximize my opportunity to HAVE some really good trees.
I'm not nearly educated, practiced or arrogant enough in the art of Bonsai
to assume that every tree I work on is going to eventually be a masterpiece.
So, by getting as many as I can and practicing on them, increasing my own
experience and "hands-on" knowledge, I think (hope) I'm also increasing the
likelihood that at least a few will be "Ooooh, Ahhhh" trees someday. A few
years from now, when I know a lot more and the trees I have are more
developed and further along in the process - yeah, I'll probably reduce how
many I have. Then again - someday, I may get to retire and I'll have more
time to spend with them....

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

And wrote:

How much is too much? Clue: the number of trees is MUCH lower

than one would imagine.

It takes a while for most of us to realize this FACT. You can
have a gazillion ho-hum trees, a hundred OK trees, or 25-30 nice
trees.

I've only made it down to the OK level ;-) but now that I have a
few whose potential I'm beginning to see, I've become a lot more
ruthless in culling trees off my shelves. I just today planted a
Chinese quince out in my yard. It had been in a pot for several
years and, frankly, was a bit boring there (and probably bored
itself). It'll be happier with more root run.

I don't know if mame count. ;-)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

****
****

Old 24-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Marty Haber

Jeff: Take Jim's advice. MORE is not equated with BETTER in bonsai. Strike
a balance between your desire to have a surplus of trees and your urge to
create some good bonsai.
Marty

Old 24-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Jim Lewis

PLEASE SNIP MESSAGES!

Don't you guys think this could be a natural progression?

Sure it is -- and I thought that's what I at least implied.

We all start out with more trees than we can really care for.

[...]

HOWEVER, don't you think you could get _better_ trees if you have
just a few that you could lavish some attention on? If you have
so many that you can only affort to give 10 mnutes a day on them,
what do you think you will have in 10 years -- or what do you
think you will have learned?

Better, I think (and none of us know this when we start) to have
half as many trees and spend twice as much time on each.