Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] age of a sucker

No, I'm not the sucker. I know how old I am. 8-b I've decided to try
an experiment this spring. We have some old apple trees that are on
their way out, and one of them is sprouting suckers all over the place.
I thought I'd try and see if I could separate some of them from the mama
tree and make mame trees on their own. Thes have been constantly pruned
back by deer. I have one that has a 1" diameter trunk, and after some
pruning of dead branches etc it's now about 3 inches high. Should look
good. I checked first to see if they had their own roots, and sure
enough they did. I'm confident they'll make it. Anyway, I'm
anticipating the inevitable question of how old it is. What should I
say? I'm guessing that some of these are in the range of 15 or so years
based on other apple trees I've collected. Could I say roughly 15
years, or is that cheating?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Alan Walker

Craig: The standard answer is that the actual age is unimportant because the goal is
the appearance of age. That said, you can probably make a decent estimate by
counting the rings at the point of detachment from the parent plant.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===============================
Craig Cowing wrote:
No, I'm not the sucker. I know how old I am. 8-b I've decided to try
an experiment this spring. We have some old apple trees that are on their way out,
and one of them is sprouting suckers all over the place.
I thought I'd try and see if I could separate some of them from the mama tree and
make mame trees on their own. These have been constantly pruned back by deer. I

Old 23-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

Craig: The standard answer is that the actual age is unimportant because the goal is
the appearance of age. That said, you can probably make a decent estimate by
counting the rings at the point of detachment from the parent plant.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

I had thought of that. That's what I'll probably do.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++