Old 24-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] root thread graft

I just dug up some small maple seedlings from the front yard that the
squirrels planted last fall..... I'm thinking of using them for thread
grafting to improve the roots on my acer palmatum..... will these two
mix?... can you root thread graft a field maple onto a japanese maple??

steve wolfinger lancaster pa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Marty Haber

Yes & no. Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A.
palmatum; but no, because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse
branch on a lovely little-leaved tree. Try to find another A.p. from which
to steal an approach graft.
Marty

I just dug up some small maple seedlings from the front yard that the
squirrels planted last fall..... I'm thinking of using them for thread
grafting to improve the roots on my acer palmatum..... will these two
mix?... can you root thread graft a field maple onto a japanese maple??

steve wolfinger lancaster pa

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Steve Wolfinger

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:10:42 -0400, Marty Haber
wrote:

Yes & no. Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A.
palmatum; but no, because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse
branch on a lovely little-leaved tree

Even though the only thing i am interested in is the surface root ??

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-04-2003, 01:59 AM
Jerry Meislik

Steve:
You probably could do this but the bark of the root would not match the
maple.
I have never done this so I am just guessing.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A. palmatum; but no,
because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse branch on a lovely
little-leaved tree

I think we are having trouble with the term thread graft. A thread graft is
where you take a long skinny branch, drill a hole right through the trunk where
you want a new branch, and thread the tip of the branch through the hole.
Before doing this, you scrape the bark from the right spot on the branch to
make sure the cambium layers meet. The branch fuses to the trunk and you
eventually cut the back piece off, leaving the new branch. This is usually done
with a branch from the same tree. There are other types of grafts, like
approach grafts, budding, etc.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 25-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Steve Wolfinger

although i have never done it..... from what i understand thread grafts may
also be used to create new roots. its a thread graft in reverse... drilling
the hole at the exact spot where you would like a new root...planting the
seedling so the roots of the seedling are just outside that hole.. and
threading it through.removing the branch part after it has taken. and no
cambium needs to be exposed.... only a tight fit.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Sean Nemecek

I recall an article from Bonsai Today where they did a root thread graft. A
hole was drilled through the root of a trident maple. Another trident was
threaded through. Then when the graft was complete the upper portion of the
threaded trident was cut off. So it is possible to improve nebari by thread
grafting.

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

Old 25-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Bart Thomas