Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default Bonsai Hydroponics Problems

Hi,

I'm quite new to both bonsai and hydroponics, but I've been keeping a
couple Ficus, Willow, and Serissa alive for a few months in an ebb and
flow setup using lava rock gravel as the medium and supplemental
fluorescent lighting.

I change the water about once a month, but recently I've noticed a
problem. A fine white fluffy mold has started growing on the roots and
leaves. This is really perplexing me, because I spray each plant with
a fungicide every few weeks. The specific brand I'm using is
"Fungicide 3" by Garden Safe, a pesticide/fungicide mix. I lost my
first bonsai, a juniper, to a combination of spider mites and
insufficient of light, so I've been keeping a much closer eye on my
current bonsai.

So far, the plants aren't show any signs of distress, but I've only
just noticed the problem. How concerned should I be about the mold? If
it's harmful, what would be the best way to get rid of it and stop it
from returning?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 16-07-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

On Jul 12, 8:43*am, Chris wrote:
[...]

Not to jump immediately to a tangent, but why are you raising bonsai
hydroponically? I'm not an expert but from what I've heard, mold is a
real problem for hydroponics.

On the other hand, I think the most common white fluffy stuff you find
on your plants is produced by insects rather than mold. I wonder it
that's what you have, which would explain why anti-fungals are
ineffective.

Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Hydroponics for orchids? Kevin Orchids 2 20-03-2003 03:32 PM
FYI - hydroponics growers Jim Carter Edible Gardening 1 23-02-2003 09:15 PM
hydroponics Bill Shoemaker Edible Gardening 0 30-01-2003 11:30 PM