GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/1782-re-%5Bibc%5D-soil.html)

Carl L Rosner 22-02-2003 02:27 PM

[IBC] soil

Brian:
It is not unusual.... As long as the owner knows when to feed the
trees, he could even raise Bonsai in coase Builders sand. In fact, I
have a Trident Maple that has been growing in just builders sand. If
you were to ask a hundred people thoughout the world, who raise Bonsai,
you would be hard pressed to find 10 that used the same soil formula.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Brian Berggoetz wrote:

At a seminar at a club member's house. Heis very good in the hobby, a
couple hundred trees in all different sizes and mostly wild trees he has
dug up himself. He has a number of species that are "impossible",
including Manzanita. The one thing that struck me was his soil. He
uses 100% pumice. He sifts the fines and filters outlarger than 1/4
inch. I have never read anybody say anything like this. Any thoughts?
Brian zone 12 Tucson

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 22-02-2003 02:27 PM

[IBC] soil

In a message dated 2/21/2003 7:12:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

The one thing that struck me was his soil. He
uses 100% pumice. He sifts the fines and filters out larger than 1/4
inch.

A couple of things true about soil among Bonsai folks. Every one has
an opinion and a favorite soil and choice of soil depends upon species and
cultural conditions. I would think pumice would require frequent watering
and the right fertilizer. What is the pH of pumice as it breaks down? What
you grow and how you grow it should determine your soil, not what another
grower uses, although that can be your starting point.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 01-04-2003 02:44 PM

[IBC] soil

where can i get "turface" in the oakland/macomb township,mi
don't like paying for shipping

I'm certain that SOMEONE here knows which of several Oaklands or
Macombs you are referring to (I'm sure "township" is a clue, but
you could make it easier to help you).

Anyway, look on the web for Turface and its synonyms, Mule Mix,
Terra-Green, etc. (there are others, but their names escape me
for the nonce. We had a discussion of this subject 2-3 weeks
ago, so look in the archives. You can usually find a way to
locate local distributors on their web pages -- even if only an
e-mail address.

David Thoreau - Walden