Old 21-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Wales, UK
Exclamation Help

Hi,

I've just brought a Zelkova bonsai from a local hame base and I have no idea what to do now! I've wanted a bonsai for a long time, and I've brought a general book about them, but it doesn't name my sepcies of bonsai speacifically. I know I've made a small risk by buying a bonsai from a shop, but I wanted to start somewhere. Is anyone able to give me any pointers or information about them?

The greatest of thanks in advance.
Old 23-02-2009, 10:42 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default Help

Thanks watching$B!*(B If you come Beijing to be possible to arrive at our
bonsai market to have a look, everybody exchanges mutually. Address$B!'(B
BeiJing Kyushu Hui Tong flower market Bonsai Exhibition Area Phone:
13439030118 Mr. Shi

Bonsai production
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-17.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-18.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-19.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-20.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-21.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-22.jpg
http://www.beijingbonsai.com/Bonsai-.../bonsai-23.jpg

http://www.beijingbonsai.com/
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

First up... don't panic!!!
I assume you are from the UK? A zelkova belongs outdoors so first of
all make sure that is where it is.
My site a href="http://bonsaiart.co.uk "Bonsai Art/a offfers good
tips so that you can learn about them slowly but for now relax and
wait for spring when the buds will open.

--
zelkovafortress

Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaiart.co.uk View Post

wrote:
Hi,

I've just brought a Zelkova bonsai from a local hame base and I have no
idea what to do now! I've wanted a bonsai for a long time, and I've
brought a general book about them, but it doesn't name my sepcies of
bonsai speacifically. I know I've made a small risk by buying a bonsai
from a shop, but I wanted to start somewhere. Is anyone able to give me
any pointers or information about them?

The greatest of thanks in advance.

--
zelkovafortress
There's some great advice here. Thank you!
__________________
I work at a lovely firm of Liverpool Solicitors!
Old 28-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Registered User

hi,....
you are doing good.
keep it up and thanks for sharing

Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Registered User

You MUST keep your Bonsai tree's in good condition (presumeing you live in europe) Bonsai tree's (if they meet the right conditions) tend to "sweat", or, more precisely, urinate on themselves. To rectify this, simply smother your plant with honey.

This isn't a joke, i'm being dead serious. I know it sounds strange, but i'm telling the truth.
Old 23-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantLuberJohn View Post
You MUST keep your Bonsai tree's in good condition (presumeing you live in europe) Bonsai tree's (if they meet the right conditions) tend to "sweat", or, more precisely, urinate on themselves. To rectify this, simply smother your plant with honey.

This isn't a joke, i'm being dead serious. I know it sounds strange, but i'm telling the truth.
nice tips all of you.
with the seperation of my boyfriend, i also left his bonsai in our apartment in berlin.
so i've been thinking of buying a new one every once in a while.

think i'll try my luck this year!
Old 28-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelkovafortress View Post
Hi,

I've just brought a Zelkova bonsai from a local hame base and I have no idea what to do now! I've wanted a bonsai for a long time, and I've brought a general book about them, but it doesn't name my sepcies of bonsai speacifically. I know I've made a small risk by buying a bonsai from a shop, but I wanted to start somewhere. Is anyone able to give me any pointers or information about them?

The greatest of thanks in advance.
it more then likely a chinese elm
my chinese elm was wrongly sold as a zelkova yes they like being out doors just wait till the late frosts are over so put it outside around the end of march. for the time being put it on a window sill that gets sun all day as they love the warmth
they like they roots damp but not wet so free draining soil is a must
and you must also fine spray them in the evening (never in sunlight as this will burn them)as this helps keep them fresh and clean (daily pollution ect)
never stand your plant in water always water your tree from the top of the soil and let it drain, you will also have to feed it once a month in the growing season, and use water at room temp never straight out of the tap
cold water shocks the root system

hope this helps a little

saph
Old 26-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
This is a very useful content for finding your species of bonsai. Hope this was helpful.
Old 19-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

when reclearing lines in urban areas.
However when a tree is rounded over as you describe, it
subsequently puts out a mass of wild growth (think trunk chop or
drastic pruning in your bonsai), which soon is back into the
power lines, and is weakly attached to the tree and prone to
breaking off.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield

Most likely its a Chinese Elm, rather than a Zelkova. As someone else mentions are a quite often incorrectly labelled. If you plan to keep it in the house it wants a bright spot away from radiators and other sources of heat. Kitchen and bathroom windows can be good places...

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 02:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 05:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 04:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 01:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 06:09 AM