Old 27-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] 4th Annual Brevard Show

Well, the first day of our show at Rockledge Gardens, near Cocoa, FL, started
with rain but the rain stopped early and we had a mostly cloudy day.
The turnout for Tom Brantley's program was great with standing room only for
the two hours. The audience was mostly beginners. Tom talked about how not
to design a forest, with examples of what not to do.
Tom also brought some plants and supplies. The supplies included a new soil
mix (at least to me) that uses the traditional Turface and Pine Bark but
combined with lava (pumice). This mix will be lighter than the traditional
which uses gravel. (A consideration in handling larger pots.)
After lunch we welcomed nursery visitors and talked about our trees.
The local paper did a feature story on the front page of the Home & Garden
section with a jump to page 4F.
The nursery promoted the show during their regular local radio ads.
The venue for our show is a large, by local standards, retail nursery that
has been featured in national trade publications because they are successful
in competing with the large discount retail stores such as Wal Mart and
Lowe's. Part of their success is events like this that bring the public in.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++