Old 27-04-2003, 10:44 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Coral maple

Sounds very much like Verticillium wilt to me. I've had it randomly
destroy 3 of my very best Maple varieties. Crimson Queen was 50% killed
off and the surviving part has now grown into an acceptable garden plant
in the subsequent five years. If the list agrees, I'd cut out well below
the affected areas and dispose of cuttings cleanly. Remember to
sterilise tools afterward.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
North Wales

I have a coral maple form nursery .. put into a growing pot since 4
weeks

all seemed ok and it started sprouting .. today I noticed that 5
shots in different branches (4 leaves already out + small central stem
) were limp we had a rainy day and the plant is not very much exposed
to wind nor to rain directly

It is the first time I am dealing with this Coral specie I am used
more Desojo and Trident
might be a roots fungus attack ?
Thanks for any advice
Theo

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Theo

HI Kevin
I read a few pages I have in my files on Buergerianun they say about
Verticillosis as a nasty one adviced to treat with Bentonyl 1% or burn the plant
So I trow away the plant and washed the pot with chlorine , as well as tools.
I hope anyone else of my maples has been contaminated
2 cuttings I made from the same Coral maple has been trashed too ,one was ok
the other one had the same symptoms wilt new growth ..
Will call the nursery on monday and tell them ..
Thanks again for your informations
Theo

Old 28-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Sounds very much like Verticillium wilt to me.

The limp stems sounds like a root problem. It could be Verticillium,
or it could be something else, like compacted soil in the root ball.
Don't panic yet.

I've had it randomly
destroy 3 of my very best Maple varieties. Crimson Queen was 50% killed
off and the surviving part has now grown into an acceptable garden plant
in the subsequent five years. If the list agrees, I'd cut out well below
the affected areas and dispose of cuttings cleanly. Remember to
sterilise tools afterward.

Since Vert is a root problem, pruning isn't going to do much good.
Some trees, if in good health, and not stressed by drought, will
fight off the fungus themselves; susceptible or weak trees will die.

You should look at your tree's roots for signs of decay or soil
compaction. There is no good way to tell if you have Verticillium
without disfiguring the tree, so don't bother unless it's a goner.
But keep it away from other trees so you don't spread hypothetical
spores.

If the tree dies, get rid of everything: Tree and soil. Sterilize
the pot before using it again.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo

HI Nina
the whole thing happened like that:
I bought the maple
I transplanted 14 days ago and it was ok
It started sprouting and having green leaves

The small twin trunk it had started sprouting also
Saturday morning it was all covered and rainy .. but the pot was in a good place
not exposed and soil was not wet nor dry
In the morning I noticed the small twin trunk had its leaves a darker green and I
thought might be a sucker from the grafted trunk ( I sow later on it was NOT
grafted )
in the evening when back home all leaves down and the stems were wilt
so I asked in the net as I few days ago something about coral maplesand related
problems cought my eye .
The down part of the main trunk ( nebari )was brownish but it is normal as after
2 years the red color disappers.. But one of the top branches that has been cut
and reduced and sealed I noticed was starting to decay and loosing color
So I preferred for 20 $ stock not to take the risk of infecting my others maples .

The earth I used was home made and sterilized with microwave and steam 5 min
power 9 and contained akadama and sand plus leaf mould ( oak leaves )top microwave
power )
the pot was just newly bought to make it grow for a while in that container
I gave ST :-) with the watering
thanks for all this concern
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Nina reads too late:
So I throw away the plant and washed the pot with chlorine, as well as tools.

Theo! You panicked!

If I had caught you in time, I would have advised you to slice at the
base of the trunk with a razor blade, and look for brown streaks in
this year's wood. That's a sign of Verticillium.

Root problems all have the same sysmptoms: leaf death and stem wilt.
You can't tell one from another from symptoms alone. Granted, all
root problems are serious, but some can be fixed.

Old 05-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Steve wachs

BODY {font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;}

I have been growing a Coral Bark in a wooden box for 4 years now. It is doing
well never had die back. it's as hardy as any of my Maples. I have about 40
varieties of Acer Palmatum at last count. This Past fall I bought 2 more
Coral Barks. this is definitely one of the most striking Japanese Cultivars,
and a favorite. It shows off its CORAL bark in the winter when it is
subjected to cold conditions. I find it looks its best in the spring before
it loses its coral color, and has leafed out.
2 of the trees were grafts and ! Was, one that wasn't a graft was as good as
the grafted trees. It seems to be a very Hardy tree. SteveWLI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Theo said offlist:

as the maples has just been bought and transplanted

IT WAS JUST TRANSPLANTED? Transplanting can cause shock with exactly
those symptoms. A tree that has been transplanted should be kept in
shade and watched carefully until it is transpiring normally.

Verticillium is a terrible disease, and people should be ready to
toss out a diseased tree with no regrets, since if the disease
spreads, it willl mean greater heartbreak. But don't be hasty, folks.

Old 21-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Theo

Hi Nina hi everybody maple lovers
I need your science
My second coral bark maple is slowly dying back from the cuts of some upper
branches
they started very slowly getting black.
I was looking how would react and if maybe stop when reaching the nodes where
others twigs come out.. apparently one twig is looking wilt not neat not dead yet
which product should I use ?
Should I cut off the black part in the sound red bark ?
Thanks
Theo

Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

[...]

Orchid Fair, Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs, Fl William Hill Orchids 0 11-06-2004 01:03 PM
Orchid Show at Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs, Fl William Hill Orchids 0 02-06-2003 03:45 PM
coral bark maple sango kaku clipster Gardening 1 21-05-2003 10:08 PM
Correction] Coral maple Theo Bonsai 0 21-05-2003 05:56 PM
Coral maple Theo Bonsai 0 26-04-2003 08:44 PM