Old 27-04-2003, 04:44 PM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] Phoenix Graft Question

I understand that the 'base' of a Phoenix Graft is 'typically' buttonwood juniper. Is this material selected based on the ability of the material to absorb Lime Sulpher? In other words are these materials 'softer' than those of other materials and therefor
e the Lime Sulphur is absorbed inot the wood versus merely painted on as a wash?

Randi Sharp

Richmond, VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-04-2003, 05:33 PM
MartyWeiser

Randi,

Buttonwood and juniper are two very different species. Both have been used
for phoenix grafts. Generally the keys for selecting a base stock for a
phoenix graft are an interesting structure and fairly hard wood that will
last a long time. Both buttonwood and juniper meet these criteria. Maples,
pines, and other trees with softer wood are not often used because the wood
decays fairly quickly under most conditions of bonsai culture - very
aggressive preservation will make them last longer. I am sure folks with
experience doing phoenix grafts with buttonwood or species other than
juniper will have more to add.

Marty

I understand that the 'base' of a Phoenix Graft is 'typically' buttonwood
juniper. Is this material selected based on the ability of the material to
absorb Lime Sulpher? In other words are these materials 'softer' than those
of other materials and therefore the Lime Sulphur is absorbed inot the wood
versus merely painted on as a wash?

Randi Sharp

Richmond, VA

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-04-2003, 11:20 PM
randi sharp

Marty, The reason I was asking is that I have a great Chinese Elm carcass and after I applied the lime sulphur, for ht emost part, it seemed to partially wash off after its first rain. I had planned to teat it withthe lime sulphur several times, but it see
ms that it's very difficult for the sulphur to be absorbed into the wood. The grain is very tight and thet may be the problem. Just wondering if buttonwood & juniper wood was more 'open' than the Elm.

MartyWeiser wrote:Generally the keys for selecting a base stock for a

Old 28-04-2003, 03:56 PM
randi sharp

Billy, I has removed all bark and painted on the lime sulphur..now I'm wondering if the lime sulphur was 'old'... does it settle out and become weaker with age if unused? Randi
The reason I was asking is that I have a great Chinese Elm carcass and after I applied the lime sulfur,

Lime-Sulpher is applied to bare wood, without the bark.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++