GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Crabapple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/19139-re-%5Bibc%5D-crabapple.html)

Craig Cowing 29-04-2003 12:44 PM

[IBC] Crabapple

Iris Cohen wrote:

Can I defoliate a crabapple (potted last year) same as a maple? If so, when is
the best time in Zone 5? Tree is leafed out already.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Iris:
I defoliated one of mine last year, but didn't see much in the way of leaf
reduction or ramification The tree tolerated it very well.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 16-06-2003 07:20 PM

[IBC] Crabapple

In a message dated 4/29/03 7:17:55 AM, writes:
I defoliated one of mine last year, but didn't see much in the way of leaf
reduction or ramification* The tree tolerated it very well.

I did defoliate my 'Indian Summer,' but not completely, because there were a
few weak spots & a shoot I wanted to lengthen. It responded inconsistently &
sporadically, but I think I did get some extra shoots that way. Leaf size is
also very variable. I think in order to get ramification & back budding on a
crabapple, you have to keep pinching, but of course that may delay blooming.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[email protected] 16-06-2003 10:20 PM

[IBC] Crabapple

if any pruning is done " it should be completed before early June. * Most
crabapples initiate flower buds for next season in mid-June to early July and
pruning at that time or later would result in
decreased flower production the following year. * Pruning may be done,
however, to remove sucker growth, open up the center of the plant to light and
air, to cut off out-of-place branches, and
shape the tree."

Thanks. Schenectady is out anyway. However, what about our club show in
September? By that time flower buds are supposed to be visible. Can I make it
presentable for the show?

Jim Lewis 17-06-2003 01:08 AM

[IBC] Crabapple

In a message dated 6/16/03 2:48:16 PM,
writes:
if any pruning is done " it should be completed before early

June. Most
crabapples initiate flower buds for next season in mid-June to

early July and
pruning at that time or later would result in
decreased flower production the following year. Pruning may be

done,
however, to remove sucker growth, open up the center of the

plant to light and
air, to cut off out-of-place branches, and
shape the tree."

Thanks. Schenectady is out anyway. However, what about our club
show in
September? By that time flower buds are supposed to be visible.
Can I make it
presentable for the show?
Iris
Can't really help, Iris. All I know is what Dirr knows, since I
have no experience with crabapples.

If I had to guess, however, I'd say that careful pruning may
reduce the number of blooms, but not eliminate them. He DOES say
pruning is OK to get rid of suckers, open up the tree and get rid
of branches where they shouldn't be. Sounds like bonsai to me.
;-)

jim