GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Indoor Juniper Bonsai Sick - Turning Brittle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/195031-indoor-juniper-bonsai-sick-turning-brittle.html)

coykiesaol 29-12-2010 08:38 AM

Indoor Juniper Bonsai Sick - Turning Brittle

I got a juniper bonsai in December and I think something is wrong with it. It's pins are turning brittle and slightly purple. And the core of the tree (where the branches meet the trunk) is a weird brown - it didn't look like this before. I also found a white cotton-like fungus on the soil and the rocks in the water tray the pot sits in.

I have to admit, I know nothing about what I am doing! I keep it indoors out of the direct sunlight and I water it when it needs watering by checking the moisture of the soil.
I would really appreciate anyone's help or comments.
Thank you!

richib 04-01-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coykiesaol (Post 908588)
I got a juniper bonsai in December and I think something is wrong with it. It's pins are turning brittle and slightly purple. And the core of the tree (where the branches meet the trunk) is a weird brown - it didn't look like this before. I also found a white cotton-like fungus on the soil and the rocks in the water tray the pot sits in.

I have to admit, I know nothing about what I am doing! I keep it indoors out of the direct sunlight and I water it when it needs watering by checking the moisture of the soil.
I would really appreciate anyone's help or comments.
Thank you!

Hi, Sounds like a symtom of over watering.. At this time of year try and make sure the tree gets some sun for at least half the day, dont water again until the soil has had a chance to dry out a lot more.. keep an eye on it and see what happens...
Good luck...