GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Quick question about defoliation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/196048-quick-question-about-defoliation.html)

coykiesaol 22-03-2011 03:45 AM

Quick question about defoliation

When you guys defoliate a tree, do you also remove all terminal buds? I know this is essential for schefflera, but in many of the write-ups I've seen for ficus it makes no mention of terminal buds. I ask because when I defoliated my ficus I left most of the terminal buds intact, and I ended up with relatively little back budding and long twigs with leaves only at the ends. It seems logical that the terminal buds should go along with the leaves, but I didn't know if this was true.